Entourage‘s faux Pablo Escobar biopic — which ran into plenty of trouble last season — isn’t the only victim of Hollywood’s labyrinthine development process. Two competing (and actual) projects about the Colombian drug lord have been trying to get off the ground since last year, and they’ve both hit plenty of roadblocks. Director Joe Carnahan’s Killing Pablo was slated to feature Javier Bardem in the leading role (opposite Christian Bale) but last week the actor told EW that he’s no longer attached to the project. “Joe has great material and it’s going to be spectacular, be we just couldn’t find a time when we could both work.” Meanwhile, director Antoine Fuqua (Training Day) and producer Oliver Stone will have to wait a little longer to make Escobar, which has been delayed because of last winter’s writers’ strike, directing commitments for Fuqua and Stone, and a current financial dispute with sales partner Essential Entertainment. Now things have gotten knottier: According to Killing Pablo producer, and financier, Bob Yari, negotiations have begun with Venezuelan actor Edgar Ramirez (The Bourne Ultimatum) to replace Bardem, and Carnahan (Smokin’ Aces) is done scouting locales in Colombia and Mexico with an eye on an October start date. “We’ve been scrambling,” says Yari. “We looked at a lot of actors. We will be very happy if we can get Edgar.” Oddly enough, the Internet once hummed with news that Ramirez was also on the short list for the competing Escobar, though producer Jason Felts says that’s not true. In any case, Yari and Carnahan’s strategic poach could prove to be the winning move. And if that falls through too? Hey, maybe Entourage‘s Adrian Grenier is free! (Additional reporting by Carrie Bell)
Javier Bardem drops out of 'Killing Pablo'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'St. Vincent' director's long road to Bill Murray: 'Can you meet me at LAX in an hour?'
- 'Big Brother'; 'So You Think You Can Dance'; 'Top Chef Duels': TV recaps
- 'Suits' boss talks what's next for Louis and Co. after 'This Is Rome'
- 'Simpsons' writers share 15 tips to survive your 12-day marathon session
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter reveals how many club members will die
- 'Spider-Woman #1' comic book cover art backlash: Heroine cheek?
- EWwy Awards 2014 winners are...
- #DontKillSeanBean: 'Legends' star on his mastery of on-screen demise
- 'Simpsons' writers explain how to survive FXX's 552-episode marathon
- Kurt Sutter reveals how many 'Sons of Anarchy' club members will die
- Angelina Jolie on 'Unbroken': This story is 'a giant responsibility'
- 'Suits' postmortem: Creator Aaron Korsh talks Louis' showdown
- David Letterman airs Robin Williams tribute