Yes, the Academy Awards are still almost five long months away, but the
first Oscar screener is already showing up in voters’ mailboxes this
week. Sony Pictures Classics kicked off the awards-mailing blitz with Frozen River,
the Sundance prizewinner that features a terrifically subtle lead
performance by veteran character actress Melissa Leo. Critics
unanimously praised Leo’s work when the film opened earlier this
summer, but its middling box office showing means it needs the extra
boost, particularly when such high-caliber Best Actress competitors
like Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett and
Kristin Scott Thomas still have films coming out this year. The good
news: Sony Classics went the early-campaign route with Junebug a few years ago and it resulted in a Best Supporting Actress nomination for Amy Adams.
Oscar DVDs in the Mail
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Walking Dead': How far will it have to go to keep shocking us?
- 'Gotham' costume designer on what clothes tell us about each character
- 'Big Bang Theory'; 'Dancing With the Stars'; 'The Voice'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; more TV recaps
- 'The Blacklist'; 'Originals'; 'Gotham'; 'Jane the Virgin'; more TV recaps
- 'Fraggle Rock' actor Gerard Parkes dies at 90
- 'SNL' adds Leslie Jones as cast member
- 'Star Wars' First Look: Alex Ross' cover for Marvel comic book
- 'Vampire Diaries' sneak peek: Elena and Stefan are southbound?
- Disney announces 2016 release for animated feature 'Moana'
- Are we all numb to the atrocities of 'Walking Dead'?
- 'Gotham' costume secrets: Revealing details you may have missed
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: A pecs-tacular shirtless week
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' soundtrack to be released on cassette tapes