Yes, the Academy Awards are still almost five long months away, but the
first Oscar screener is already showing up in voters’ mailboxes this
week. Sony Pictures Classics kicked off the awards-mailing blitz with Frozen River,
the Sundance prizewinner that features a terrifically subtle lead
performance by veteran character actress Melissa Leo. Critics
unanimously praised Leo’s work when the film opened earlier this
summer, but its middling box office showing means it needs the extra
boost, particularly when such high-caliber Best Actress competitors
like Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett and
Kristin Scott Thomas still have films coming out this year. The good
news: Sony Classics went the early-campaign route with Junebug a few years ago and it resulted in a Best Supporting Actress nomination for Amy Adams.
Oscar DVDs in the Mail
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy' wraps series finale, team shares pics from set
- 31 scariest movies of all time: Chris Nashawaty's picks
- 17 creepiest TV shows
- 'How to Get Away With Murder': Talk about 'Freakin' Whack-a-Mole' surprises
- 'Scandal'; 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Reign'; more TV recaps
- 'Big Bang Theory'; 'Project Runway All Stars'; 'Graceland'; more TV recaps
- 'Modern Family' Halloween: Welcome to AwesomeLand
- Maggie Gyllenhaal and Ewan McGregor in 'The Real Thing': EW stage review
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- Children of the Revolution: An exclusive first look at 'Terminator: Genisys'
- Lily Rabe to appear on 'American Horror Story: Freak Show,' reprise 'Asylum' role
- Videogame face-off: 'FIFA 10' vs. 'NBA2K10'
- Get an exclusive first look at 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'