Yes, the Academy Awards are still almost five long months away, but the
first Oscar screener is already showing up in voters’ mailboxes this
week. Sony Pictures Classics kicked off the awards-mailing blitz with Frozen River,
the Sundance prizewinner that features a terrifically subtle lead
performance by veteran character actress Melissa Leo. Critics
unanimously praised Leo’s work when the film opened earlier this
summer, but its middling box office showing means it needs the extra
boost, particularly when such high-caliber Best Actress competitors
like Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett and
Kristin Scott Thomas still have films coming out this year. The good
news: Sony Classics went the early-campaign route with Junebug a few years ago and it resulted in a Best Supporting Actress nomination for Amy Adams.
Oscar DVDs in the Mail
Latest Videos in Movies
- Taylor Swift's '1989' review: Losing herself in 'pop'?
- Chiwetel Ejiofor signs on for Ridley Scott's 'The Martian'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' teaser poster revealed
- 'Into the Woods' featurette: Go behind the scenes with Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, and Co.
- Brad Pitt talks 'Fury' (or is that 'Furry'?) on 'Between Two Ferns'
- 'Into the Woods' First Look: New photos, concept art, and inside dish
- 10 songs where guest rappers stole the show
- 'Revenge' sneak peek: Tattoo guy makes David Clarke a marked man
- 'Game of Thrones' season 5 rumors debunked
- Zach Galifianakis gets a little too real with Brad Pitt on 'Between Two Ferns'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' trailer is here: What we learned
- This week's cover: 'Into the Woods' enchants EW's holiday movie preview
- WIll Smith bringing 'Hitch' comedy series to Fox