Yes, the Academy Awards are still almost five long months away, but the
first Oscar screener is already showing up in voters’ mailboxes this
week. Sony Pictures Classics kicked off the awards-mailing blitz with Frozen River,
the Sundance prizewinner that features a terrifically subtle lead
performance by veteran character actress Melissa Leo. Critics
unanimously praised Leo’s work when the film opened earlier this
summer, but its middling box office showing means it needs the extra
boost, particularly when such high-caliber Best Actress competitors
like Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett and
Kristin Scott Thomas still have films coming out this year. The good
news: Sony Classics went the early-campaign route with Junebug a few years ago and it resulted in a Best Supporting Actress nomination for Amy Adams.
Oscar DVDs in the Mail
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Poor Little Lamb'
- 'Twilight Saga' returning with five short films on Facebook
- Tricia Helfer in Syfy's space thriller 'Ascension': First trailer
- 'Agents of SHIELD'; 'The Voice'; 'Mindy Project'; 'New Girl'; 'Utopia': Tuesday TV recaps
- 'Selfie' series premiere: Let's compare notes
- 'Manhattan Love Story': Disappointment at first sight
- Rory Gilmore Reading Project creator to dive into all 338 books named on series; 7 he's liked so far
- 'SNL': YOUR 10 all-time favorite sketches are...