Yes, the Academy Awards are still almost five long months away, but the
first Oscar screener is already showing up in voters’ mailboxes this
week. Sony Pictures Classics kicked off the awards-mailing blitz with Frozen River,
the Sundance prizewinner that features a terrifically subtle lead
performance by veteran character actress Melissa Leo. Critics
unanimously praised Leo’s work when the film opened earlier this
summer, but its middling box office showing means it needs the extra
boost, particularly when such high-caliber Best Actress competitors
like Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, Kate Winslet, Cate Blanchett and
Kristin Scott Thomas still have films coming out this year. The good
news: Sony Classics went the early-campaign route with Junebug a few years ago and it resulted in a Best Supporting Actress nomination for Amy Adams.
Oscar DVDs in the Mail
- 'Fifty Shades' pic: Anastasia kisses Christian
- 'Will & Grace': EW reunion!
- 'Late Night with Seth Meyers' promo art: First Look
- EW TV Recap Video: 'Amazing Race,' 'Homeland,' more
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Season 6 supertease
- 'Grand Theft Auto V' wins big prize at VGX
- 'Amazing Race' recap: And the winners are...
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands