Hallelujah! Preacher has found a new home at Sony Pictures. Oscar-winning director Sam Mendes (Revolutionary Road) will take a stab at making a movie version of the super-subversive comic-book series by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, now that HBO has abandoned its longtime plans to create a full-on series adaptation. Given the massive box office success of Warner Brothers’ bleak Batman entry The Dark Knight, the timing seems right for audiences who want to get caught up in the supernatural tale of a sexy, foulmouthed, chain-smoking cleric who is imbued with the word of God and battles an all-powerful religious society. Whether Sony takes the adaptation as dark as the original comic remains to be seen. Their description of the property is as follows: Preacher focuses on Jesse Custer, the preacher of a small, destitute Texas town, who is struggling to get by and driven only by his strong moral sense. When his town is decimated by a supernatural force, Custer embarks on a journey across the country to take on the evil that has destroyed his town. Neil Moritz’s Original Film will produce along with Kickstart Productions’ Jason Netter.
Sam Mendes' 'Preacher' sets up at Sony
Latest Videos in Movies
- Fall TV ads graded: Best and worst of 2014
- 'New Girl' recap: 'Dice'
- 'Mindy Project' recap: 'Annette Castellano Is My Nemesis'
- 'True Detective': Making the case for Vince Vaughn
- 'Originals' First Look: Klaus makes an art of revenge
- Fresh faces of fall TV '14: Who's new on 25 shows
- Norman Reedus joins Tricky in new 'Sun Down' video
- Steven Yeun describes a 'hardened' Glenn in 'Walking Dead' season 5
- 11 things you'll want to know about the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover
- 'Dallas' finale postmortem: Producer, star talk about losing a Ewing
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Gotham' premieres strong while 'Big Bang Theory' explodes
- 'The Big Bang Theory' season premiere recap: 'The Locomotion Interruption' and 'The Junior Professor…