M. Night Shyamalan has found the cast for The Last Airbender, his upcoming live-action film based on the popular anime-inspired Nickelodeon series. The youthful group is mostly filled with unknowns who are likely to be household names by the time Paramount opens the first in its potential three-film franchise in July 2010. After an open casting call in Texas, Shyamalan discovered karate star Noah Ringer and offered him the part of Airbender’s 12-year old hero, Aang, an Avatar with superpowers who must stop the Fire Nation from destroying the world. Twilight‘s Jackson Rathbone has been asked to play Aang’s pal Sokka, while Nicola Peltz (Deck the Halls) will star as his sister Katara. Genial singer Jesse McCartney, meanwhile, is negotiating to play against type in the role of the Fire Nation’s evil prince Zuko.
Shyamalan lines up his cast for 'The Last Airbender'
Latest Videos in Movies
- President Obama goes 'Between Two Ferns'
- Daniel Radcliffe on B'way: First Look
- 'Bachelor' finale recap: Bait and ditch
- 'Bachelorette': It's Andi Dorfman
- 'How I Met Your Mother' recap: 'Daisy'
- 'Anchorman 2': 'Best laugh I've ever seen out of Ferrell'
- Jon Hamm + Jimmy Fallon: Late-night photobombs
- 'True Detective 2'...with Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Rogen