The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the 15 semifinalists for the Best Visual Effects Oscar. They are: Alice in Wonderland, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Clash of the Titans, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, Hereafter, Inception, Iron Man 2, The Last Airbender, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Shutter Island, The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, Tron: Legacy, and Unstoppable. Next month the visual-effects branch will narrow this list down to seven finalists. I’d call Inception, Tron: Legacy, and Alice in Wonderland the best bets to continue to the next round.
OscarWatch: Visual effects semifinalists announced
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'St. Vincent' director's long road to Bill Murray: 'Can you meet me at LAX in an hour?'
- 'Big Brother' sneak peek: Zingbot needs a Kathy Griffin-tervention
- 'Suits' creator talks Louis' resignation, midseason finale
- 'Simpsons' writers share 15 tips to survive your 12-day marathon session
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter reveals how many club members will die
- EWwy Awards 2014 winners are...
- The Clash album that never was: Curating members' post-breakup work for dream 'next record'
- #DontKillSeanBean: 'Legends' star on his mastery of on-screen demise
- Stephanie Jacobsen joins 'NCIS'... as a love interest for DiNozzo?
- Angelina Jolie on 'Unbroken': This story is 'a giant responsibility'
- David Letterman airs Robin Williams tribute
- 'Sons of Anarchy' gets official book -- and series finale air date
- Kurt Sutter reveals how many 'Sons of Anarchy' club members will die