The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the 15 semifinalists for the Best Visual Effects Oscar. They are: Alice in Wonderland, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Clash of the Titans, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, Hereafter, Inception, Iron Man 2, The Last Airbender, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Shutter Island, The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, Tron: Legacy, and Unstoppable. Next month the visual-effects branch will narrow this list down to seven finalists. I’d call Inception, Tron: Legacy, and Alice in Wonderland the best bets to continue to the next round.
OscarWatch: Visual effects semifinalists announced
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'SNL' recap: Cameron Diaz is a 'Back Home Baller'
- AMAs 2013 flashback: See how we graded last year's performances
- AMAs 2013 flashback: What the stars wore--and how we sized up their style
- 'Mockingjay' quiz: Test your smarts
- 'Jurassic World' teases Thanksgiving trailer: 3 nods to 'Jurassic Park'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- Stephen Merchant answers burning Q's about 'Hello Ladies: The Movie' (including THAT cameo)
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Times Change: 'Jurassic World' teases with three homages to Steven Spielberg's original
- 'Saturday Night Live' recap: 'Cameron Diaz and Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars'
- Bodies of Work: 49 Unforgettable Nude Scenes
- 'Hunger Games': Take the EW Trivia Quiz (Part 1)!