The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the 15 semifinalists for the Best Visual Effects Oscar. They are: Alice in Wonderland, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Clash of the Titans, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, Hereafter, Inception, Iron Man 2, The Last Airbender, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Shutter Island, The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, Tron: Legacy, and Unstoppable. Next month the visual-effects branch will narrow this list down to seven finalists. I’d call Inception, Tron: Legacy, and Alice in Wonderland the best bets to continue to the next round.
OscarWatch: Visual effects semifinalists announced
Latest Videos in Movies
- Ryan Murphy reveals an 'American Horror Story' secret: Seasons 'are all connected'
- 'Bad Judge,' 'A to Z' to be canceled by NBC
- 'Interstellar' review: Awe-fully sappy
- Billy Bob Thornton's 'Big Bang Theory' cameo: How it happened
- Halloween 2014: EW's favorite celebrity costumes
- 'Scandal,' 'Walking Dead, 'Blacklist,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Clive Barker is back from the dead--and his 'Nightbreed' is reborn
- 13 movie creeps: Harmless to horrifying