The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the 15 semifinalists for the Best Visual Effects Oscar. They are: Alice in Wonderland, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Clash of the Titans, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, Hereafter, Inception, Iron Man 2, The Last Airbender, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Shutter Island, The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, Tron: Legacy, and Unstoppable. Next month the visual-effects branch will narrow this list down to seven finalists. I’d call Inception, Tron: Legacy, and Alice in Wonderland the best bets to continue to the next round.
OscarWatch: Visual effects semifinalists announced
Latest Videos in Movies
- Oscar buzz: Sizing up the contenders after Toronto
- 'Gotham' up, 'Selfie' down? Insiders predict fall TV rookie prospects
- Ernie Hudson tells us 'Ghostbusters' stories at key NYC locations
- Danai Gurira talks 'Walking Dead': 'The Michonne wig transforms me'
- 'Big Brother' eviction: 3 Q's for Julie Chen
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani rise to Jimmy Fallon's lip sync challenge
- 'Voice' preview: 'Oprah, Yoda, and Quincy Jones in a blender is literally Pharrell'
- 'Big Brother'; 'Red Band Society'; 'Top Chef Duels' recaps
- Insiders predict which new shows will be hits (and flops)
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Frankie of 'Big Brother' says he does not regret pushing the Rewind button and wants to marry Zach
- 'Big Brother' recap: Red Dead Beast Mode
- '7th Heaven' cast, minus Ruthie, reunites