Robert Pattinson looks like a man in the adaptation of Sara Gruen’s best-seller Water for Elephants, acting opposite Oscar winners Reese Witherspoon (the beautiful performer his character, a veterinary student in charge of caring for a traveling circus’ animals, falls for during the Depression) and Christoph Waltz (Witherspoon’s husband, the troupe’s animal trainer). Director Francis Lawrence seems to be channeling Tim Burton, and it works. The music lures you in, as does the always affecting Hal Holbrook, who plays Pattinson’s aged character recalling the story of “the most famous circus disaster of all time.” The finest compliment you can give a trailer for an adaptation is that it makes you want to read the book. This one does it for me. You?
Dec 16 2010 03:04 PM ET
'Water for Elephants' trailer: Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon under the Big Top
- Ray Manzarek of the Doors dies at age 74
- 'X Factor': Kelly Rowland, Paulina Rubio in
- John Barrowman: 'Sing Your Face Off' host
- 'Mike & Molly' tornado episode pulled
- Jennifer Lawrence in 'X-Men': New photo
- 'SNL': A 'Lovely Day' ends an era
- Taylor Swift: About that unicorn tee...
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': So, that ending...
Find Movies and Showtimes
Choose Your Movie