Robert Pattinson looks like a man in the adaptation of Sara Gruen’s best-seller Water for Elephants, acting opposite Oscar winners Reese Witherspoon (the beautiful performer his character, a veterinary student in charge of caring for a traveling circus’ animals, falls for during the Depression) and Christoph Waltz (Witherspoon’s husband, the troupe’s animal trainer). Director Francis Lawrence seems to be channeling Tim Burton, and it works. The music lures you in, as does the always affecting Hal Holbrook, who plays Pattinson’s aged character recalling the story of “the most famous circus disaster of all time.” The finest compliment you can give a trailer for an adaptation is that it makes you want to read the book. This one does it for me. You?
'Water for Elephants' trailer: Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon under the Big Top
Latest Videos in Movies
- Caleb talks 'Big Brother': I'd have taken Derrick to final and 'I would have won'
- 'Disney Infinity 2.0': Marvel at the expanded possibilities now in play
- Oscar buzz: Sizing up the contenders after Toronto
- 'Gotham' up, 'Selfie' down? Insiders predict fall TV rookie prospects
- Ernie Hudson tells us 'Ghostbusters' stories at key NYC locations
- 'Key and Peele' see alien invaders' true colors in season 4 sneak peek
- 'Grey's' is the new 'Orange': Ellen Pompeo and Co. share fun photo
- Danai Gurira talks 'Walking Dead': 'The Michonne wig transforms me'