The new trailer for Soul Surfer — which EW is debuting exclusively — starts off like so many other sun-drenched surfing films: Lots of big waves, cute boys, upbeat soft rock, and a spunky teenager named Bethany Hamilton (AnnaSophia Robb, Bridge to Terebithia) with a gift for riding the monster Hawaiian surf. But anyone familiar with Bethany’s true story knows what comes next: A shark takes a liking to her left arm, derailing her promising surfing career before it really had a chance to begin. The trailer also features co-stars Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid as Bethany’s parents, and country star Carrie Underwood in her feature film debut as a church youth group leader. But I’m most impressed with how boldly the trailer showcases Bethany’s missing arm — and the impressive visual-effects that made it seem like Robb went Method and had it removed for the role. Check out the trailer below:
'Soul Surfer' trailer: Big waves, a shark attack, and Carrie Underwood's movie debut -- EXCLUSIVE
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Once Upon a Time': Jennifer Morrison on Emma in Oz
- '12 Years' writer on buzz over Oscar speech
- 'Cosmos': Past vs. present, toward a better future?
- Lena Dunham hosts 'SNL': 'Girls' night
- Oscars: What it's like to go with Jennifer Lawrence
- 'Amazing Race': Phil Keoghan's Malaysia photos
- Seth MacFarlane: Inside the new 'Cosmos' ship
- 'Bachelor': Juan Pablo, we've seen this move before...
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more
- 'SNL' recap: Lena Dunham is just a girl, standing in front of an audience, asking them to like her
- Jennifer Lawrence's best friend wrote a behind-the-scenes account of Oscars night
- Stacy Keibler marries tech entrepreneur Jared Pobre
- 'Cosmos' then and now: The 'personal voyage' of Carl Sagan,…