The new trailer for Soul Surfer — which EW is debuting exclusively — starts off like so many other sun-drenched surfing films: Lots of big waves, cute boys, upbeat soft rock, and a spunky teenager named Bethany Hamilton (AnnaSophia Robb, Bridge to Terebithia) with a gift for riding the monster Hawaiian surf. But anyone familiar with Bethany’s true story knows what comes next: A shark takes a liking to her left arm, derailing her promising surfing career before it really had a chance to begin. The trailer also features co-stars Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid as Bethany’s parents, and country star Carrie Underwood in her feature film debut as a church youth group leader. But I’m most impressed with how boldly the trailer showcases Bethany’s missing arm — and the impressive visual-effects that made it seem like Robb went Method and had it removed for the role. Check out the trailer below:
'Soul Surfer' trailer: Big waves, a shark attack, and Carrie Underwood's movie debut -- EXCLUSIVE
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Scandal': 10 most shocking twists
- 'Scandal' finale drinking game? It's handled!
- 'Transcendence' at box office?
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 'Girls' season 4 photos: Hmmm... look who's together
- 'Survivor' exit: 'I can't explain anything Tony does'
- 'Agents of SHIELD' First Look: It's 'the Cellist'!
- 'Parks and Rec': Mum's (or is that mom?) the word!