A free, outdoor screening of The Union, a documentary by Almost Famous director Cameron Crowe, will kick off the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival, fest organizers just announced. The film follows Elton John as he embarks on a collaboration with fellow music legend Leon Russell. After the premiere, which will take place on Wednesday, April 20 at New York’s World Financial Plaza, John himself will perform. The festival plans to announce the rest of its feature film slate on March 7 and March 14; the fest itself will run from April 20 through May 1.
Cameron Crowe's Elton John documentary will kick off 2011 Tribeca Film Festival
Latest Videos in Movies
- EW's 2014 Summer Movie Awards
- Jennifer Lawrence and others' nude pics hacked?
- 'Houdini' react: Spymaster of illusion?
- 'Falling Skies' boss answers burning Q's about season 4 finale
- 20 best (and 10 worst) movie theme songs
- 14 worst jobs, as seen at the movies
- 'Dallas' star Patrick Duffy still has 'Man From Atlantis' eyes, recalls Lynda Carter crush
- Jennifer Garner and Denis Leary in 'Draft Day' scene you didn't see; watch it here