A free, outdoor screening of The Union, a documentary by Almost Famous director Cameron Crowe, will kick off the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival, fest organizers just announced. The film follows Elton John as he embarks on a collaboration with fellow music legend Leon Russell. After the premiere, which will take place on Wednesday, April 20 at New York’s World Financial Plaza, John himself will perform. The festival plans to announce the rest of its feature film slate on March 7 and March 14; the fest itself will run from April 20 through May 1.
Cameron Crowe's Elton John documentary will kick off 2011 Tribeca Film Festival
Latest Videos in Movies
- Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson breaks silence in ABC News interview
- 'The Voice' recap: Meet the top 8
- Jim Parsons gets a read on 1922 play 'Merton of the Movies': 'a very visceral link to the past'
- 'Jurassic World': Watch first full trailer
- Hugh Jackman welcomes(?) us to Neverland in 'Pan' trailer
- Black Friday preview: Where to find deals on Blu-ray, books, videogames
- Jennifer Aniston vs. Lisa Kudrow: A little cussing among 'Friends'
- 8 simple Netflix tricks to try this weekend (from TIME)