A free, outdoor screening of The Union, a documentary by Almost Famous director Cameron Crowe, will kick off the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival, fest organizers just announced. The film follows Elton John as he embarks on a collaboration with fellow music legend Leon Russell. After the premiere, which will take place on Wednesday, April 20 at New York’s World Financial Plaza, John himself will perform. The festival plans to announce the rest of its feature film slate on March 7 and March 14; the fest itself will run from April 20 through May 1.
Cameron Crowe's Elton John documentary will kick off 2011 Tribeca Film Festival
Latest Videos in Movies
- Disney animated films: Best/worst
- 'The Flash' recap: 'Things You Can't Outrun'
- 'Gilmore Girls': Amy Sherman-Palladino on how the 'thousand yellow daisies' scene grew
- Marvel on cryptic crossover art: 'Stay Tuned!' So, let's theorize...
- 'Lassa Fever' to 'The Dreaming Death': 5 soap opera epidemics
- First canceled show of 2014? Why networks are slow to drop ax this year
- Ray Fisher: Meet DC's 'Cyborg'
- 'Walking Dead': How far will it have to go to keep shocking us?