Disney is bringing Agatha Christie’s venerable detective Miss Marple back to the big screen, but this won’t be your father’s — or your grandfather’s — Miss Marple. EW has confirmed that, as first reported on Deadline, Jennifer Garner will play the amateur sleuth in a new take on the character. In Christie’s 12 Miss Marple mystery novels, which she began publishing in 1930, and numerous television, film, and radio adaptations over the decades, Miss Marple has always been depicted — most famously by Margaret Rutherford in four films in the 1960s, Angela Lansbury in the 1980 movie The Mirror Crack’d, and Joan Hickson in a string of BBC TV movies — as an elderly spinster in a small English village who, underneath her sweet-old-lady exterior, is a flinty and formidable crime solver. (Christie said she based the character on her own grandmother.) But in casting Garner — and hiring Mark Frost, who co-created Twin Peaks with David Lynch, to write the screenplay for a Miss Marple reboot in a contemporary setting — Disney clearly intends to blow the dust off the character and give her a youthful and modern spin.
Jennifer Garner will play Miss Marple in a new Disney reboot
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Grey's Anatomy' sneak peek: Meredith and Maggie go toe-to-toe
- 'Walking Dead': Get up to speed in 60 seconds
- Rory Gilmore Reading Project creator to dive into all 338 books named on series; 7 he's liked so far
- 'Big Bang Theory' recap: 7 favorite laugh lines
- 'Castle' season premiere: Your take on 'Driven'?
- 'Castle' boss tips us off to 5 things to look for this season
- 'The Blacklist'; 'Dancing With the Stars'; 'Gotham'; 'The Voice'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; more recaps
- 'SNL': Bill Hader on chat with Lorne Michaels about Pete Davidson ('By the way, do you want to host?')
- 'The Walking Dead' star Emily Kinney says there's 'definitely a connection' between Beth and Daryl
- 'Castle' season 7 premiere recap: Where in the world is Richard Castle?
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Raining on prom night
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Mythbusters': Discovery responds to fan outrage over dumping Kari Byron