For years, the idea of remaking the 1947 Danny Kaye comedy The Secret Life of Walter Mitty has been kicking around Hollywood. Stars like Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Owen Wilson, and Will Ferrell have circled the project — based on a 1939 short story by James Thurber about a perpetual daydreamer who escapes from his mundane existence into his vivid fantasy life — and directors like Ron Howard and Steven Spielberg have considered taking a crack at it, but it’s never been amounted to more than a Mitty-esque pipe dream. Now, though, it may be closer to reality than ever: EW has confirmed that, as first reported by Deadline, Ben Stiller is in talks to sign on to the project, drawn in by the latest pass at the script by Steven Conrad (The Pursuit of Happyness). If Stiller — who is about to star in the latest Broadway revival of the play The House of Blue Leaves — locks onto the film and a director climbs on board (maybe Stiller himself could even do the job), 20th Century Fox could conceivably get The Secret Life of Walter Mitty into production later this year.
Ben Stiller circling 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 20 most compelling actor/director teams now
- 'Big Brother' recap: Final three houseguests are...
- Sarah Paulson on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'something happens in the very first episode that's crazy'
- 'Red Band Society' debuts: First impressions?
- 'Top Chef Duels' recap: Nyesha Arrington vs. Jennifer Carroll
- Kunal Nayyar sings Boyz II Men on 'Queen Latifah Show': Sneak peek
- 'This Is Where I Leave You' review: Reunited and it feels so...schmaltzy
- 'Survivor' scouting report: John Rocker's plan if he's recognized?
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- '7th Heaven' cast, minus Ruthie, reunites
- Frankie of 'Big Brother' says he does not regret pushing the Rewind button and wants to marry Zach
- 'Big Brother' recap: Red Dead Beast Mode
- 'AHS' star Sarah Paulson calls conjoined twins her 'craziest' role yet