For years, the idea of remaking the 1947 Danny Kaye comedy The Secret Life of Walter Mitty has been kicking around Hollywood. Stars like Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Owen Wilson, and Will Ferrell have circled the project — based on a 1939 short story by James Thurber about a perpetual daydreamer who escapes from his mundane existence into his vivid fantasy life — and directors like Ron Howard and Steven Spielberg have considered taking a crack at it, but it’s never been amounted to more than a Mitty-esque pipe dream. Now, though, it may be closer to reality than ever: EW has confirmed that, as first reported by Deadline, Ben Stiller is in talks to sign on to the project, drawn in by the latest pass at the script by Steven Conrad (The Pursuit of Happyness). If Stiller — who is about to star in the latest Broadway revival of the play The House of Blue Leaves — locks onto the film and a director climbs on board (maybe Stiller himself could even do the job), 20th Century Fox could conceivably get The Secret Life of Walter Mitty into production later this year.
Ben Stiller circling 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' quiz: Test your smarts
- Tina Fey's 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' moves from NBC to Netflix
- 'How to Get Away With Murder,' 'Elementary,' 'Walking Dead,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Pitch Perfect 2': What we saw on the set
- Stephen Merchant's advice if you find yourself watching a sex scene with your parents?
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss talks THAT killer twist
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' boss talks killer twist
- 'Mockingjay -- Part 1': The 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- AMC to debut 'Better Call Saul' with two-night event
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' recap: 'Kill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me'