For more than a year now, rumors have been floating that Johnny Depp — who got his start as a teen hunk on the ’80s undercover-cops-in-high-school series 21 Jump Street — might jump into Sony’s big-screen reboot for some kind of cameo. Well, after seemingly endless speculation, a source close to the production now tells EW that a small, uncredited Depp cameo does indeed look likely to happen. No details are available yet on what character Depp might play in the film, which begins shooting this month with Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum in the lead roles. But, in an interview with EW last year, Depp himself jokingly envisioned popping up as his original character, Tom Hanson: “Someone will say, ‘Whatever happened to Tom Hanson?’ and they’ll find me somewhere hoarding jars of peanut butter and shaking in my underpants.”
Johnny Depp set for uncredited cameo in '21 Jump Street'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur -- Blood vs. Water': Meet the 9 pairs
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' teaser: Fly through the air with the greatest unease
- 'Walking Dead' First Look/Q&A: Seth Gilliam as Father Gabriel Stokes
- 'Walking Dead': See 4 new EW collector's covers
- Chelsea Handler signs off, showered with love (and Ellen DeGeneres)
- 'Friends' Central Perk pop-up coffee shop to hit Manhattan in September
- 'Pretty Little Liars'; 'Bachelor in Paradise' recaps
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Sneak peek at season 10 DVD's gag reel
- New 'Survivor' cast boasts MLB pitcher John Rocker, Spider-Man actor, and 'Amazing Race' twins
- New 'Sons of Anarchy' photos are appropriately unsettling
- Homer Simpson takes on the Ice Bucket Challenge
- 'True Blood' star Kristin Bauer van Straten returning to 'Once Upon a Time' for major arc
- Ellen DeGeneres, Gwen Stefani, more say goodbye to 'Chelsea Lately'