After a brief swirl of rumors and alarm-raising headlines, Alec Baldwin is officially on board for Rock of Ages. Earlier this week, the 30 Rock star reportedly asked studio New Line to let him out of the film — a jukebox musical set to songs by artists like Journey and Pat Benatar — for health reasons. But now Baldwin is back, and director Adam Shankman (Hairspray) confirmed on Twitter that the actor was at a table read Thursday alongside co-stars Tom Cruise, Russell Brand, and Paul Giamatti. (Catherine Zeta-Jones, who will play the female lead, was unable to attend.) Baldwin is slated to play the owner of a Sunset Strip club in the musical, which tells a love story set in 1980s Hollywood.
Alec Baldwin won't leave 'Rock of Ages'
Latest Videos in Movies
- Peter Capaldi, that's 'Who': See the new EW cover
- 'Walking Dead' cast not tight-lipped about season 5 trailer
- 10 best videos at Comic-Con 2014
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits
- 'New Girl' True American drinking game: The day I gave it a shot...
- 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover: Watch 5 minutes
- 'Pretty Little Liars' recap: 'Scream for Me'
- Chris Harrison's 'Bachelorette' blog: The finale
- 'The Walking Dead' cast and producers promise that 'every single thing in the first episode is a spoiler'
- What does an episode of 'Friends' look like without any jokes?
- TV Land orders Jim Gaffigan's CBS sitcom pilot to series
- PopWatch Confessional: I tried to play 'New Girl's fake drinking game
- 'The Walking Dead' season 5 trailer is here