After a brief swirl of rumors and alarm-raising headlines, Alec Baldwin is officially on board for Rock of Ages. Earlier this week, the 30 Rock star reportedly asked studio New Line to let him out of the film — a jukebox musical set to songs by artists like Journey and Pat Benatar — for health reasons. But now Baldwin is back, and director Adam Shankman (Hairspray) confirmed on Twitter that the actor was at a table read Thursday alongside co-stars Tom Cruise, Russell Brand, and Paul Giamatti. (Catherine Zeta-Jones, who will play the female lead, was unable to attend.) Baldwin is slated to play the owner of a Sunset Strip club in the musical, which tells a love story set in 1980s Hollywood.
Alec Baldwin won't leave 'Rock of Ages'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Birdman' wins Best Cast, Movies, at SAG Awards; see full list of honorees
- 'Orange Is the New Black,' 'Downton Abbey' casts win SAG Awards; see all TV winners
- SAG Awards 2015: Red carpet arrivals
- EW's SAG Awards Party 2015: What the stars wore
- SAG Awards 2015: Mingling inside EW's party
- 'Downton Abbey' recap: Episode 4
- 'American Sniper' keeps box office crown: $64.4M
- 'Girls'; 'Galavant'; 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'; 'SNL'; 'Togetherness'; 'Looking' recaps