After a brief swirl of rumors and alarm-raising headlines, Alec Baldwin is officially on board for Rock of Ages. Earlier this week, the 30 Rock star reportedly asked studio New Line to let him out of the film — a jukebox musical set to songs by artists like Journey and Pat Benatar — for health reasons. But now Baldwin is back, and director Adam Shankman (Hairspray) confirmed on Twitter that the actor was at a table read Thursday alongside co-stars Tom Cruise, Russell Brand, and Paul Giamatti. (Catherine Zeta-Jones, who will play the female lead, was unable to attend.) Baldwin is slated to play the owner of a Sunset Strip club in the musical, which tells a love story set in 1980s Hollywood.
Alec Baldwin won't leave 'Rock of Ages'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Horrible Bosses 2' review: Working too hard for too little payoff
- Thanksgiving family movie nights: Our most awkward choices...and yours?
- Jennifer Aniston plays 'Horrible' prank on BBC DJ
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Alfonso Ribeiro claims the mirrorball trophy
- 'Arrow' preview: Laurel dresses the part of Black Canary, but 'a mask does not a hero make'
- 'Voice' winner Josh Kaufman on his acrobatic Broadway debut in 'Pippin'
- Netflix additions for December include 'Wolf of Wall Street,' 'American Horror Story: Coven'
- Jack O'Connell's other role on 'Unbroken' set: Naked pizza delivery man
- And the 'Dancing With the Stars' season 19 winner is...
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season finale recap: A nail-biter till the very end
- Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow try to out-curse each other on 'Kimmel'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- 'The Voice' recap: Meet the Top 8