On Monday morning, rumors circulated that Duff, who announced earlier this month that she is expecting her first child with husband Mike Comrie, was dropped from the production of the adaptation. Reports indicated that a pregnant Duff would not be able to play the part of Bonnie until June, which would conflict with filming. Additionally, Duff’s co-star Kevin Zegers (Gossip Girl), who was originally cast as Clyde, would no longer appear in the film due to scheduling conflicts surrounding his other projects.
While Duff and Zegers’ reps did not return EW’s request for comment, Cypress Moon Productions, the studio behind the long-in-the-works indie, confirmed that they did not let Duff go because of her pregnancy. “[That is] not true at all,” Cypress’ President Tonya Holly told us. Still, since the actress may not be available until June, scheduling could affect whether or not she’s able to participate in Bonnie and Clyde. The studio says that neither Duff nor Zegers broke any contracts, but if the green lit project, which is currently in negotiations, must film before either can take participate, they will need to consider re-casting the parts.
UPDATE: The producers of The Story of Bonnie and Clyde sent a statement to EW, which read, “While production has been pushed several times due to financial, scheduling and other factors such as tornadoes devastating some of our locations, we are currently gearing up to start production later this year. Unfortunately we now faced with scheduling conflicts with our leads Hilary Duff and Kevin Zegers. We were told that Duff would not be available until June 2012 and that Zegers would not be available until January of the new year. Due to our obligations with investors and international buyers it is imperative that we stick to our current schedule. Therefore we are forced to explore other options for the two lead roles. Unfortunately this happens all the time in the world of filmmaking.”