Harrison Ford in in talks to play Branch Rickey, the Hall of Fame baseball executive who integrated the sport by promoting Jackie Robinson to the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. Robert Redford had been long interested in the role — and reportedly attached as recently as last April — but EW can confirm a Deadline report that Ford is now the top choice to star in 42 (referencing Robinson’s uniform number). The Brian Helgeland-scripted story focuses on how Rickey bypassed more talented black superstars and selected the dashing 27-year-old Robinson in part because his maturity and superior character prepared him for the racial taunts and abuse that were sure to come his way on and off the diamond.
Harrison Ford negotiating historic role in Jackie Robinson movie
- 'American Horror Story: Coven' recap: 'Head'
- 'Survivor' recap: Drawing a line in the sand
- 'Nashville' cliffhanger: Who died?
- 'Arrow' execs talk big midseason finale twists
- 'Arrow' react: 'Three Ghosts'
- 'Tomorrow People' react: 'Death's Door'
- 'Sing-Off' judges get 'Hooked on a Feeling'!
- 'Hawaii Five-0': Tom Berenger as Danny's dad
- 'Britney Jean' nets Britney Spears her worst opening week ever; Garth Brooks and Duck Dynasty carry on
- 'Sons of Anarchy' season finale post-mortem: Burning questions answered
- 'Nashville' midseason finale cliffhanger: Who died?
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: Taylor Swift Wishes
- 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water': Who was voted out? Who was eliminated?