Harrison Ford in in talks to play Branch Rickey, the Hall of Fame baseball executive who integrated the sport by promoting Jackie Robinson to the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. Robert Redford had been long interested in the role — and reportedly attached as recently as last April — but EW can confirm a Deadline report that Ford is now the top choice to star in 42 (referencing Robinson’s uniform number). The Brian Helgeland-scripted story focuses on how Rickey bypassed more talented black superstars and selected the dashing 27-year-old Robinson in part because his maturity and superior character prepared him for the racial taunts and abuse that were sure to come his way on and off the diamond.
Harrison Ford negotiating historic role in Jackie Robinson movie
Latest Videos in Movies
- First canceled show of 2014? Why networks are slow to drop ax this year
- 'Marry Me' sneak peek: Watch Ken Marino 'eye cuddle' with Casey Wilson
- 'Scorpion' looks good in Monday ratings
- Halloween countdown/poll: 5 best zombie movies
- 'Walking Dead': How far will it have to go to keep shocking us?
- 'Blacklist'; 'DWTS'; 'Big Bang Theory'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; 'Originals'; 'Voice'; 'Gotham'; more recaps
- 'Gotham' costume designer on what clothes tell us about each character
- 'Star Wars' First Look: Alex Ross' cover for Marvel comic book