Harrison Ford in in talks to play Branch Rickey, the Hall of Fame baseball executive who integrated the sport by promoting Jackie Robinson to the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. Robert Redford had been long interested in the role — and reportedly attached as recently as last April — but EW can confirm a Deadline report that Ford is now the top choice to star in 42 (referencing Robinson’s uniform number). The Brian Helgeland-scripted story focuses on how Rickey bypassed more talented black superstars and selected the dashing 27-year-old Robinson in part because his maturity and superior character prepared him for the racial taunts and abuse that were sure to come his way on and off the diamond.
Harrison Ford negotiating historic role in Jackie Robinson movie
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Simpsons' First Look: Homer meets Lego Homer!
- 'X-Men' trailer: Retro-Sentinels and...the Dude?!
- 'View': Seating chart for a peaceful co-host reunion
- Tribeca Film Fest: 13 must-see premieres
- 'Voice': Top 12 Power List
- Kiera Cass' 'The One': New trailer
- Best summer blockbusters: Ah-nold at No. 10
- 'Orphan Black': How Sarah became British
- 'Fast & Furious 7': Paul Walker's brothers joining production
- 'Game of Thrones': Joffrey wedding crowns new piracy record
- Tina Fey and Robert Carlock on '30 Rock' finale, and why they screened 'iCarly'
- 'Heroes Reborn: Digital Series' launching in conjunction with reboot
- 'Fargo' premiere: Martin Freeman talks THAT scene