Harrison Ford in in talks to play Branch Rickey, the Hall of Fame baseball executive who integrated the sport by promoting Jackie Robinson to the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. Robert Redford had been long interested in the role — and reportedly attached as recently as last April — but EW can confirm a Deadline report that Ford is now the top choice to star in 42 (referencing Robinson’s uniform number). The Brian Helgeland-scripted story focuses on how Rickey bypassed more talented black superstars and selected the dashing 27-year-old Robinson in part because his maturity and superior character prepared him for the racial taunts and abuse that were sure to come his way on and off the diamond.
Harrison Ford negotiating historic role in Jackie Robinson movie
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Manhattan Love Story' is first fall show to be canceled
- 'Constantine' series premiere; 'Amazing Race'; more TV recaps
- Monica Potter describes her perfect 'Parenthood' ending
- 'Justified' season 6 teaser welcomes Raylan back for his farewell season
- Benedict Cumberbatch tries to walk like Beyonce; let the memes begin...
- ’Supernatural,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Newsroom,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Once Upon a Time': Lana Parrilla and Jennifer Morrison preview SwanQueen episode
- Brad Pitt talks 'Fury' (or is that 'Furry'?) on 'Between Two Ferns'