Harrison Ford in in talks to play Branch Rickey, the Hall of Fame baseball executive who integrated the sport by promoting Jackie Robinson to the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. Robert Redford had been long interested in the role — and reportedly attached as recently as last April — but EW can confirm a Deadline report that Ford is now the top choice to star in 42 (referencing Robinson’s uniform number). The Brian Helgeland-scripted story focuses on how Rickey bypassed more talented black superstars and selected the dashing 27-year-old Robinson in part because his maturity and superior character prepared him for the racial taunts and abuse that were sure to come his way on and off the diamond.
Harrison Ford negotiating historic role in Jackie Robinson movie
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay': First teaser trailer
- 'Sons of Anarchy' salutes emotional Kurt Sutter
- 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover: Watch 5 minutes
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits: Day 3
- 'Leftovers': The last straw
- 'True Blood' recap: 'Karma'
- 'True Blood': Anna Paquin's hair is to dye for
- 'Mad Max' trailer: 'My world is fire and blood'
- See 5 minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut
- Sneak a peek at the 'Simpsons' season premiere, in which one character will die
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers'
- 'Game of Thrones' epic blooper reel released