EW has confirmed that Tommy Lee Jones has signed on to play General Douglas MacArthur in Emperor. The film takes place August 1945 after the United States bombed Hiroshima and forced the Japanese surrender that effectively ended World War II. Jones’s MacArthur must lean on a Japanese expert from his staff (Matthew Fox) to help him lead the devastated country out of the rubble and decide the fate of Emperor Hirohito. “Tommy will bring strength, intelligence, and gravitas to the portrayal of General Douglas MacArthur, a legendary American hero,” said producer Gary Foster. Peter Webber (Hannibal Rising, Girl with a Pearl Earring) will direct the film, which is expected to be released in 2013.
Tommy Lee Jones joins 'Emperor'
- 'August: Osage County': First Look at new trailer
- Patton Oswalt vs. Lean Cuisine: Get a taste!
- 'HitRECord on TV' trailer: First Look
- Benedict Cumberbatch + R. Kelly: Late-night 'Genius'
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' trailer: Meet the villains
- Kanye = Liberace?: Aisha Tyler's late-night bite
- Ryan Murphy 'AHS: Coven' reveal: More Stevie Nicks!
- 'Survivor': 3 Q's for Jeff Probst
- Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman: 13 thoughts on the bombshell-casting bombshell
- 'Survivor' recap: Hayden's rustling feathers
- 'Veronica Mars' movie gets a release date; plus, watch a clip! -- EXCLUSIVE
- 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water': Jeff Probst on that CRAZY tribal council
- 'American Horror Story' recap: Kill Fiona