EW has confirmed that Tommy Lee Jones has signed on to play General Douglas MacArthur in Emperor. The film takes place August 1945 after the United States bombed Hiroshima and forced the Japanese surrender that effectively ended World War II. Jones’s MacArthur must lean on a Japanese expert from his staff (Matthew Fox) to help him lead the devastated country out of the rubble and decide the fate of Emperor Hirohito. “Tommy will bring strength, intelligence, and gravitas to the portrayal of General Douglas MacArthur, a legendary American hero,” said producer Gary Foster. Peter Webber (Hannibal Rising, Girl with a Pearl Earring) will direct the film, which is expected to be released in 2013.
Tommy Lee Jones joins 'Emperor'
Latest Videos in Movies
- Jim Carrey hosts 'SNL': Tell us how the show looks to you as it airs
- 'Doctor Who'; 'Amazing Race'; 'Constantine'; more TV recaps
- Kids and coots: Movies' unlikeliest buddies?
- Bill Murray: 11 personas he's perfected
- 37 'sexy' Halloween costumes?
- 'Blacklist' cues up Cloud Cult, more of the week's best music on TV
- Regina Spektor's 'Love Me or Leave Me' from 'Boardwalk Empire': Hear it
- Monica Potter describes her perfect 'Parenthood' ending