EW has confirmed that Tommy Lee Jones has signed on to play General Douglas MacArthur in Emperor. The film takes place August 1945 after the United States bombed Hiroshima and forced the Japanese surrender that effectively ended World War II. Jones’s MacArthur must lean on a Japanese expert from his staff (Matthew Fox) to help him lead the devastated country out of the rubble and decide the fate of Emperor Hirohito. “Tommy will bring strength, intelligence, and gravitas to the portrayal of General Douglas MacArthur, a legendary American hero,” said producer Gary Foster. Peter Webber (Hannibal Rising, Girl with a Pearl Earring) will direct the film, which is expected to be released in 2013.
Tommy Lee Jones joins 'Emperor'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': How big at the box office?
- Chris Pratt: 'Parks and Rec' will get ending it deserves (dinosaurs?)
- 'Top Model' First Look: Pretty and twisted
- Jon Stewart on 'Rosewater': 'a love letter to expression'
- 'Big Brother' eviction: 3 Q's for Julie Chen
- TV recaps: 'Project Runway,' 'Big Brother'
- 'The Killing': Binging? Read our recaps of episodes 1-5
- Comic-Con: Why Team 'Twilight' made it better
- STAHP in the name of love 967
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 596
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams and other directors are working to save movie film 465
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 460
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 285
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams, and other directors are trying to save Kodak
- Dick Smith, makeup artist of 'The Godfather,' 'The Exorcist': A tribute
- Box office preview: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' aims for a cosmic debut
- Entertainment Geekly: Or maybe 'Twilight' was the best thing to happen to Comic-Con
- 'Big Brother' recap: Tell me about the rabbits, Caleb