EW has confirmed that Tommy Lee Jones has signed on to play General Douglas MacArthur in Emperor. The film takes place August 1945 after the United States bombed Hiroshima and forced the Japanese surrender that effectively ended World War II. Jones’s MacArthur must lean on a Japanese expert from his staff (Matthew Fox) to help him lead the devastated country out of the rubble and decide the fate of Emperor Hirohito. “Tommy will bring strength, intelligence, and gravitas to the portrayal of General Douglas MacArthur, a legendary American hero,” said producer Gary Foster. Peter Webber (Hannibal Rising, Girl with a Pearl Earring) will direct the film, which is expected to be released in 2013.
Jan 17 2012 06:38 PM ET
Tommy Lee Jones joins 'Emperor'
- 'Arrested Development': We'll binge/recap
- Memorial Day TV marathons: What's on
- Fox reality boss Mike Darnell steps down
- TV season finales: EW grades
- 'Arrested Development': Funkes in town!
- Jimmy Kimmel: Not the 'Nude Bea' buyer
- 'Fast & Furious': 5 films in 1 day?!
- TV music: Our wishlist (and yours?)
Find Movies and Showtimes
Choose Your Movie