EW has confirmed that Tommy Lee Jones has signed on to play General Douglas MacArthur in Emperor. The film takes place August 1945 after the United States bombed Hiroshima and forced the Japanese surrender that effectively ended World War II. Jones’s MacArthur must lean on a Japanese expert from his staff (Matthew Fox) to help him lead the devastated country out of the rubble and decide the fate of Emperor Hirohito. “Tommy will bring strength, intelligence, and gravitas to the portrayal of General Douglas MacArthur, a legendary American hero,” said producer Gary Foster. Peter Webber (Hannibal Rising, Girl with a Pearl Earring) will direct the film, which is expected to be released in 2013.
Tommy Lee Jones joins 'Emperor'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Poor Little Lamb'
- 'Twilight Saga' returning with five short films on Facebook
- Tricia Helfer in Syfy's space thriller 'Ascension': First trailer
- 'Agents of SHIELD'; 'The Voice'; 'Mindy Project'; 'New Girl'; 'Utopia': Tuesday TV recaps
- 'Selfie' series premiere: Let's compare notes
- 'Manhattan Love Story': Disappointment at first sight
- Rory Gilmore Reading Project creator to dive into all 338 books named on series; 7 he's liked so far
- 'SNL': YOUR 10 all-time favorite sketches are...