EW has confirmed that Tommy Lee Jones has signed on to play General Douglas MacArthur in Emperor. The film takes place August 1945 after the United States bombed Hiroshima and forced the Japanese surrender that effectively ended World War II. Jones’s MacArthur must lean on a Japanese expert from his staff (Matthew Fox) to help him lead the devastated country out of the rubble and decide the fate of Emperor Hirohito. “Tommy will bring strength, intelligence, and gravitas to the portrayal of General Douglas MacArthur, a legendary American hero,” said producer Gary Foster. Peter Webber (Hannibal Rising, Girl with a Pearl Earring) will direct the film, which is expected to be released in 2013.
Tommy Lee Jones joins 'Emperor'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Birdman' wins Best Cast, Movies, at SAG Awards; see full list of honorees
- Miss Universe 2015: 10 out of this world moments
- 'Outlander' returns in April--but you can see comeback episode's first scene here now
- SAG Awards 2015: 10 favorite speeches
- SAG Awards 2015: Red carpet arrivals
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' sneak peek: 'See you in court, kids'
- EW's SAG Awards Party 2015: What the stars wore
- 'Downton Abbey'; 'SNL'; 'Galavant'; 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' recaps