EW has confirmed that Tommy Lee Jones has signed on to play General Douglas MacArthur in Emperor. The film takes place August 1945 after the United States bombed Hiroshima and forced the Japanese surrender that effectively ended World War II. Jones’s MacArthur must lean on a Japanese expert from his staff (Matthew Fox) to help him lead the devastated country out of the rubble and decide the fate of Emperor Hirohito. “Tommy will bring strength, intelligence, and gravitas to the portrayal of General Douglas MacArthur, a legendary American hero,” said producer Gary Foster. Peter Webber (Hannibal Rising, Girl with a Pearl Earring) will direct the film, which is expected to be released in 2013.
Tommy Lee Jones joins 'Emperor'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Into the Woods'/Holiday Movie Preview: See 4 EW collector's covers
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Greensleeves'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' director Paris Barclay talks 'Greensleeves': 'I'm screaming, More pain!'
- Disney animated films: Best/worst
- Nina Dobrev's crossover to 'The Originals': 5 new photos
- 'The Flash'; 'Agents of SHIELD'; 'The Voice'; 'Supernatural'; 'Marry Me'; more TV recaps
- First canceled show of 2014? Why networks are slow to drop ax this year
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Inbar Lavi on Jax-Winsome chemistry and her return