We’re now only hours away from the Academy Award nominations. I’ve already posted my predictions, but I’m bound to get more than a few wrong. So what will be tomorrow’s biggest surprise? Here are 10 possibilities. To be clear, I’m not expecting all of these to happen; they’re just potential unexpected outcomes. But should any them actually materialize, don’t say I didn’t warn you.
1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo star Rooney Mara bumps out either Albert Nobbs‘ Glenn Close or We Need to Talk About Kevin‘s Tilda Swinton and snags a Best Actress nomination.
2. The Descendants breakout Shailene Woodley displaces Janet McTeer, meaning that all five supporting actress nominees are first-timers.
3. After being overlooked by SAG, the Golden Globes, and the Broadcast critics, Hugo costar Ben Kingsley rides the wave of support for the film and sneaks into the supporting actor category.
4. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy lead Gary Oldman repeats his BAFTA nod with his first career Oscar nomination, elbowing out Leonardo DiCaprio.
5. A Separation scores a Best Original Screenplay nomination, becoming the first foreign screenplay nominee since 2007′s The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.
6. The Help‘s Tate Taylor earns a Best Director nod over Dragon Tattoo‘s David Fincher.
7. Bridesmaids joins The Artist, Hugo, The Help, Midnight in Paris, and The Descendants in the Best Picture category.
8. In addition to his Best Actor nod for The Descendants, George Clooney also gets an adapted screenplay nomination for The Ides of March.
9. Cannes winner The Tree of Life only earns one nomination, for Best Cinematography.
And finally…10. Hugo racks up more overall nominations than presumed front-runner The Artist.
Which of these unexpected (by me, at least) results would make you the happiest?
Dave on Twitter: @davekarger