The Artist celebrates the oldest of old Hollywood, an era when moviemaking magic was still very much in its infancy. Re-creating that era — both the real-world city streets and the era’s movie sets — was up to the film’s Oscar-nominated production designer Laurence Bennett, who came up with an unorthodox strategy for capturing the allure of the period in a black-and-white film. Click here for our annotated conversation with Bennett about one of the iconic movie sets of the era, and click here for our annotated conversation on the grand exterior of the La Reina Theater. Some of the details may surprise you!
Oscar 2012 Behind the Scenes: Secrets of the sets of 'The Artist'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Walking Dead' is 'Lord of the Rings'? Rick is Aragorn, Carl is Frodo...
- Monica Potter describes her perfect 'Parenthood' ending
- ’Supernatural,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Newsroom,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Benedict Cumberbatch tries to walk like Beyonce; let the memes begin...
- 'Shameless' season 5 trailer hints at plenty of new twists
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Justified' season 6 teaser welcomes Raylan back for his farewell season
- 'Terminator' blows away a first-time viewer's misconceptions
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys 'R' Us after 'Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- TLC cancels 'Honey Boo Boo'
- Peter Jackson walks us through his battle plans for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- See the first teaser for the final season of 'Justified'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist