The Artist celebrates the oldest of old Hollywood, an era when moviemaking magic was still very much in its infancy. Re-creating that era — both the real-world city streets and the era’s movie sets — was up to the film’s Oscar-nominated production designer Laurence Bennett, who came up with an unorthodox strategy for capturing the allure of the period in a black-and-white film. Click here for our annotated conversation with Bennett about one of the iconic movie sets of the era, and click here for our annotated conversation on the grand exterior of the La Reina Theater. Some of the details may surprise you!
Oscar 2012 Behind the Scenes: Secrets of the sets of 'The Artist'
Latest Videos in Movies
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- TV clip shows: 5 all-time standouts
- 'John From Cincinnati': Why not ready for Prime time?
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- 'Mean Girls' star comes out in letter to his character
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- 'Parks and Rec' finale: Watch the opening scene
- 'Reign': Watch Bash's first sex scene
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 649
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 494
- Slaves to Love 464
- The Man Who Could Not Stand Still 508
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show'
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE