Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow and producer/writer Mark Boal tell EW that they could still return to an earlier hunt-for-Osama bin Laden movie that they had abandoned after the terrorist was killed in 2011. The duo behind Oscar-winning 2010 movie The Hurt Locker say they aren’t sure what their next project will be, or even if they’ll definitely continue to collaborate (“I hope so,” says Bigelow). But they won’t rule out the idea of returning to the previous movie at some point. Asked if reviving the film as a sort of ZDT prequel was a possibility, Boal responded, “Yeah, I think so. Why not? But I think the last thing [either of us] wants to do right now is talk about making another movie.” Bigelow, too, says she would “possibly” be interested in finishing the project.
Bigelow and Boal were just a few months away from shooting the previous film — about the near-miss pursuit of bin Laden in Tora Bora in 2001 — when the world’s most-wanted man was discovered and killed in a compound in Pakistan last year. They quickly decided to set aside the finished script and start over on a new movie, which eventually became Zero Dark Thirty (that film opens in limited release on Dec. 19). “I love reporting, so being on a big story is really exciting to me,” says former war journalist Boal of his scramble to write a new script. “But nobody likes to throw out two years of work.”
For more of our exclusive interview with Bigelow and Boal, check out this week’s issue of EW.
‘Zero Dark Thirty’: Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal discuss bringing Osama bin Laden hunt to the screen — EXCLUSIVE
‘Zero Dark Thirty’ release date moved back
‘Zero Dark Thirty’: James Gandolfini’s secret role revealed — EXCLUSIVE