Most movies that break out of the pack, with their own special blend of technique and vision, can be said to defy categories. But Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity, which drew massive audiences this weekend and, I suspect, spoke to them (as it did to me) in a powerful and transporting way, may be a unique case. Offhand, I can’t name a science fiction movie that mesmerizes you because it feels at once so novel and so retro, so thrillingly forward-thinking and so exquisitely cast from the visual poetry of a long-ago era. Just think about it: READ FULL STORY
Tag: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1-2 of 2)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'True Detective' finale: Talk about it
- 'True Detective': Let's cast season 2
- 'Walking Dead' recap: 'Alone'
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: 'New York City Serenade'
- 'Resurrection' premiere: Will you return?
- 'Cosmos': Past vs. present, toward a better future?
- Atlanta 'Housewives' recap: Countdown to Apollo's demise
- 'Amazing Race' recap: 'Welcome to the Jungle'