In a remarkably tight race, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug held onto its gold at the box office this weekend, earning $29.9 million over the three-day frame and taking the top spot. The fantasy epic’s domestic total is now $190.3 million after three weeks, a robust number that still trails last year’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which had already earned $221.6 million at the 17-day mark. Peter Jackson’s earlier Tolkien epic, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, had made a princely $290.4 million by its third weekend in 2003, headed toward a final gross of $377.8 in the states and $1.119 billion worldwide. Smaug looks likely to end up below Unexpected Journey‘s total haul of $303 million, whereas each of the Lord of the Rings films managed to outgross its predecessor. The Hobbit: There and Back Again, the trilogy’s final film, is slated for release on Dec. 17, 2014.
Tag: 47 Ronin (1-3 of 3)
Reclaiming the top spot in its sixth weekend, Frozen made an estimated $10.3 million on Friday — enough to snag the top spot during a hectic post-holiday frame that saw five new wide releases competing at the box office. Disney’s animated fairy tale has made a total of $229.8 million so far and has a shot at holding the crown for the weekend, although it’ll have stiff competition from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. The fantasy sequel earned an estimated $10.1 million on Friday, making it the second-highest grosser that day and bringing its total to $170.6 million. The Hobbit is playing on 3,928 screens compared to Frozen‘s 3,335.
After numerous delays, Universal Pictures has unveiled the trailer for 47 Ronin, the upcoming samurai flick starring Keanu Reeves.
Directed by Carl Rinsch, and also starring Hiroyuski Sanada and Rinko Kikuchi, the film set in mythical Japan is about a half-breed slave (played by Reeves) who becomes swift with the sword, joining a band of 47 masterless samurai in a quest for vengeance.
Watch the trailer below:
READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Project Runway' finale recap: And the winner is...
- 'Grey’s Anatomy': Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'How to Get Away With Murder'; 'Grey's Anatomy; 'Scandal'; more TV recaps
- 'Forever' sneak peek: Henry and Jo mix classy and sassy
- 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Reign'; 'Parenthood'; 'Gracepoint'; more TV recaps
- Taylor Swift's '1989' review: Losing herself in 'pop'?
- Brad Pitt talks 'Fury' (or is that 'Furry'?) on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys 'R' Us after 'Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- Peter Jackson walks us through his battle plans for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- Videogame face-off: 'FIFA 10' vs. 'NBA2K10'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- The 17 most important GIFs from the 'Avengers 2' trailer