In a remarkably tight race, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug held onto its gold at the box office this weekend, earning $29.9 million over the three-day frame and taking the top spot. The fantasy epic’s domestic total is now $190.3 million after three weeks, a robust number that still trails last year’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which had already earned $221.6 million at the 17-day mark. Peter Jackson’s earlier Tolkien epic, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, had made a princely $290.4 million by its third weekend in 2003, headed toward a final gross of $377.8 in the states and $1.119 billion worldwide. Smaug looks likely to end up below Unexpected Journey‘s total haul of $303 million, whereas each of the Lord of the Rings films managed to outgross its predecessor. The Hobbit: There and Back Again, the trilogy’s final film, is slated for release on Dec. 17, 2014.
Tag: 47 Ronin (1-3 of 3)
Reclaiming the top spot in its sixth weekend, Frozen made an estimated $10.3 million on Friday — enough to snag the top spot during a hectic post-holiday frame that saw five new wide releases competing at the box office. Disney’s animated fairy tale has made a total of $229.8 million so far and has a shot at holding the crown for the weekend, although it’ll have stiff competition from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. The fantasy sequel earned an estimated $10.1 million on Friday, making it the second-highest grosser that day and bringing its total to $170.6 million. The Hobbit is playing on 3,928 screens compared to Frozen‘s 3,335.
After numerous delays, Universal Pictures has unveiled the trailer for 47 Ronin, the upcoming samurai flick starring Keanu Reeves.
Directed by Carl Rinsch, and also starring Hiroyuski Sanada and Rinko Kikuchi, the film set in mythical Japan is about a half-breed slave (played by Reeves) who becomes swift with the sword, joining a band of 47 masterless samurai in a quest for vengeance.
Watch the trailer below:
READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- Peter Capaldi: 'Who,' me? Why he wrote off idea he'd be Time Lord
- Quentin Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight' has a poster
- Allison Williams to play Peter Pan in NBC's live musical
- Sarah Palin inspires 'Stephen Colbert's Angry Echo Chamber'
- 'Walking Dead' cast not tight-lipped about season 5 trailer
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits
- 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover: Watch 5 minutes
- 'New Girl' True American drinking game: The day I gave it a shot...
- 'The Walking Dead' cast and producers promise that 'every single thing in the first episode is a spoiler'
- TV Land orders Jim Gaffigan's CBS sitcom pilot to series
- What does an episode of 'Friends' look like without any jokes?
- Paramount deletes tweet of Australian 'TMNT' poster amid 9/11 controversy
- PopWatch Confessional: I tried to play 'New Girl's fake drinking game