Director J.C. Chandor turns back the clock to 1981, one of the deadliest years in New York City history, for A Most Violent Year, an action-packed drama (due this fall) about surviving the American dream. Oscar Isaac plays Abel, a principled gas businessman whose growing profits bump up against the New York underworld. His wife, Anna (Jessica Chastain), has some Brooklyn connections who might be able to lend some muscle when rivals start hijacking their gas trucks. “Her father and brother are well-connected on the wrong side of the law and Abel is not,” says Chastain. “There are certain things he won’t do, [so] she thinks maybe she has to. Like, maybe I have to be the man, too.” READ FULL STORY
Tag: A Most Violent Year (1-3 of 3)
Casting Net: Julianne Nicholson to play Ethan Hawke's ex-wife; Plus, Albert Brooks joins 'A Most Violent Year,' more
• Julianne Nicholson (August: Osage County) and Emily Mortimer (The Newsroom) have joined the coming-of-age pic Ten Thousand Saints, set in the ’80s in New York City’s Lower East Side. American Splendor directing team Bob Pulcini and Shari Berman have assembled a fairly big cast for the project including Ethan Hawke, Emile Hirsch, and Ender’s Game co-stars Asa Butterfield and Hailee Steinfeld. Mortimer will be playing Hawke’s girlfriend and Steinfeld’s mother, while Nicholson has been cast as Hawke’s ex-wife and mother of Butterfield. [THR]
• Inside Llewyn Davis lead Oscar Isaac is set to join fellow Julliard classmate Jessica Chastain in A Most Violent Year. Isaac is replacing Javier Bardem (reportedly over a disagreement about the script) in the film, which tells the story of a man who immigrates to the U.S. and works his way up to become a successful businessman. Set in 1981 in New York, the movie will deal with citywide corruption. The Wrap also reports that Stanley Tucci is a potential for the film, which J.C. Chandor (All Is Lost) will direct. Isaac currently has three thrillers in post-production: Mojave with Garrett Hedlund, The Two Faces of January with Kirsten Dunst, and Ex Machina with Domhnall Gleeson. [THR]
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'St. Vincent' director's long road to Bill Murray: 'Can you meet me at LAX in an hour?'
- 'Big Brother'; 'So You Think You Can Dance'; 'Top Chef Duels': TV recaps
- 'Suits' boss talks what's next for Louis and Co. after 'This Is Rome'
- 'Simpsons' writers share 15 tips to survive your 12-day marathon session
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter reveals how many club members will die
- 'Spider-Woman #1' comic book cover art backlash: Heroine cheek?
- EWwy Awards 2014 winners are...
- #DontKillSeanBean: 'Legends' star on his mastery of on-screen demise