• Tom Hiddleston will star (and sing) as Hank Williams in an upcoming biopic about the country legend. I Saw The Light will be directed by Marc Abraham (Flash of Genius), who adapted the script from Colin Escott’s biography of Williams. Quite different than his role in The Avengers, Hiddleston will sing from the entire Williams catalog, with songs like “Hey, Good Lookin’,” after the rights were secured through a deal with Sony ATV. The film will follow Williams’ rise to fame before dying of heart failure at age 29. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Alessandro Nivola (1-3 of 3)
Casting Net: Drew Barrymore to reunite with Adam Sandler; Plus, Emma Watson will not be the next Cinderella, Jude Law, more
• Drew Barrymore is set to re-team with Adam Sandler for a new comedy about Jim and Lauren, who go on a blind date and then somehow get stuck at a resort with children from previous marriages. The two starred together in 1998′s delightful Wedding Singer and 2004′s could-have-been-worse 50 First Dates. Despite Sandler’s recent slate of films, Barrymore does have a solid track record of bringing some heart to his comedies, so we’ll remain cautiously optimistic about the still-untitled project. Frequent Sandler collaborator Frank Coraci (The Wedding Singer) will direct. [Variety]
• Lynne Ramsay’s Jane Got a Gun had some major casting shifts Tuesday. The highly anticipated Western stars Natalie Portman as Jane Hammond, who has no choice but to ask an ex-lover to help defend her farm from the gang out to kill her husband. Originally, Michael Fassbender was set to play Hammond’s ex, with Joel Edgerton as the villain. The latest news is that Fassbender has left the project, Edgerton will now play the ex-lover, and Jude Law (who starred with Portman in Closer) has stepped into the villain role. The X-Men: Days of Future Past shooting schedule is reportedly why Fassbender had to exit the project, but if you were really hoping to seeing him and Portman share the screen, you still have that Terrence Malick project to look forward to…assuming neither of them end up on the cutting room floor. [THR]
Casting Net: Chris Hemsworth boarding 'In the Heart of the Sea.' Plus: Stephen Colbert, Ray Winstone, Anton Yelchin
• Speaking of fact-based films set in the 19th century, Alfre Woodard has joined the formidable cast of Twelve Years a Slave, director Steve McQueen‘s follow-up to Shame about a free man (Chiwetel Ejiofor) who is dragooned into slavery. The film costars Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Giamatti, Paul Dano, and Sarah Paulson. See what I mean about formidable? Yowsah! [THR]
• Stephen Colbert, Allison Janney, Ellie Kemper (Bridesmaids), Ariel Winter (Modern Family), and Stephen Tobolowsky (Groundhog Day) will lend their voices to Mr. Peabody & Sherman, the DreamWorks Animation adaptation of the beloved animated shorts from the Rocky and Bullwinkle family. Colbert will take on the role of Paul Peterson, archrival of Mr. Peabody (Ty Burrell); Janney will play Peterson’s wife Paula, and Winter his daughter Penny. Young actor Max Charles (The Amazing Spider-Man) is voicing Sherman. Rob Minkoff (The Lion King) is directing. [THR]
• Ray Winstone (Sexy Beast, Snow White and the Huntsman) is in talks to play the heavy opposite Russell Crowe in Noah, Darren Aronofsky‘s big-screen take on the Old Testament story. Emma Watson, Logan Lerman, and Douglas Booth round out the cast. [Deadline]
• Anton Yelchin (Star Trek, Like Crazy) is joining Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston, Mia Wasikowska, and John Hurt in Jim Jarmusch‘s vampire romance Only Lovers Left Alive. Because why not a Jim Jarmusch vampire romance? [Deadline]
• Alessandro Nivola (Jurassic Park III) has joined the West Memphis Three feature film Devil’s Knot. He’ll play Terry Hobbs, the stepfather of one of the three murdered boys at the heart of the internationally famous case; recent documentaries West of Memphis and Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory both allege Hobbs was responsible for the murders, but he has denied any involvement. Reese Witherspoon will play Hobbs’ wife Pam. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Samuel L. Jackson signs on to ‘Robocop.’ Plus: Jamie Foxx, Robin Williams, Paul Rudd, Emile Hirsch
Casting Net: Matthew Modine in Jobs biopic, ‘Slave’ adds two more to all-star cast
Casting Net: Louis C.K., Andrew Dice Clay join new Woody Allen film. Plus: Ashley Tisdale, Elijah Wood, Johnny Galecki
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Pan' First Look: Hugh Jackman as villain pirate...but don't call him Hook
- American Music Awards 2014: Your take on Taylor Swift, J.Lo, more highs/lows?
- American Music Awards '14: We grade the performances
- American Music Awards 2014 style: What the stars wore
- 'Walking Dead' recap: 'Crossed'
- 'Jurassic World' teases Thanksgiving trailer: 3 nods to 'Jurassic Park'
- 'Good Wife'; Atlanta 'Housewives'; 'The Newsroom'; 'The Comeback' recaps
- 'Homeland'; 'SNL'; 'The Affair'; 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'; 'Bob's Burgers'; more TV recaps
- American Music Awards 2014: The Winners List
- American Music Awards 2014: We Grade the Performances
- American Music Awards 2014 Style: What the Stars Wore
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- The Best and Worst of the AMAs 2014 -- what did you think?