• Ron Paul will make his acting debut as a “commentator” in Atlas Shrugged: Who is John Galt?, the third installment of the Atlas Shrugged film trilogy based on the novel by Ayn Rand. The book, and subsequent films, tells a story of a withering U.S. economy as a result of taxation and over-regulation. The former congressman and three-time presidential candidate will be joined by conservative personalities Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity in the film, directed by James Manera. [The Hollywood Reporter] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Alicia Vikander (1-4 of 4)
• He might be King of the North to some, but Game of Thrones actor Richard Madden (he plays Robb Stark on the HBO series) is about to reach a whole new demographic when he takes on the role of Prince Charming in Disney’s live-action adaptation of Cinderella. Downton Abbey’s Lily James will play the title role in the Kenneth Branagh-directed film, with Cate Blanchett as the wicked stepmother. With a script from Aline Brosh McKenna (The Devil Wears Prada), we’re starting to get excited to see what Branagh does with the film, and to finally see Madden in a less stressful role.
• It’s quite a departure from her work in Anna Karenina and A Royal Affair, but up and coming actress Alicia Vikander is in talks to star opposite Tom Cruise and Armie Hammer in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. The Swedish actress would play a British agent. For those of you who might remember the television series, don’t worry, you’re not losing your mind — this character is a new addition. Vikander can also be seen in The Seventh Son (out October 18) and The Fifth Estate (out November 13). [THR]
Prize Fighter: Denmark's Oscar foreign film entry 'A Royal Affair' director Nikolaj Arcel, star Mads Mikkelsen
As part of an early look at next year’s Oscars, Prize Fighter over the coming weeks will highlight several of the directors and official entries submitted by a whopping 71 countries competing for the Academy Award for best foreign language film.
Danish films over the past several years have earned some major love from the Academy Awards, from director Susanne Bier’s drama In a Better World snagging the best foreign film trophy in 2011, to her movie After the Wedding, starring Danish mega lead Mads Mikkelsen, earning a nomination in 2007.
Denmark’s official 2013 Oscar entry, Nikolaj Arcel’s hybrid political-romantic period drama A Royal Affair, also starring Mikkelsen, has been touted as a contender floated towards the top of the foreign film category’s pack. Denmark may be a small country, north of Germany, south of Sweden and Norway, but it packs a punch when it comes to filmmaking. Arcel, for instance, co-wrote the screenplay for the original 2009 The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, starring Swedish crossover knockout Noomi Rapace.
Q&A: 'Anna Karenina' up-and-comer Alicia Vikander on Keira Knightley, corsets, Denmark's 'A Royal Affair'
Swedish actress Alicia Vikander has everything going for her as an up-and-coming ingenue: a softly beautiful face that gleams pink-cheeked innocence, solid acting chops, and a modest, European approach to Hollywood far more wise than her 24 years.
In Joe Wright’s film adaptation of Leo Tolstoy’s late 19th century Russia-set novel Anna Karenina, out in theaters Friday, she stars as 18-year-old Princess Ekaterina “Kitty” Alexandrovna Shcherbatskaya (ok, it’s easier to say “Kitty), betrayed by Keira Knightley’s dark-haired adulterer Anna Karenina when the older beauty sets her aristocratic eagle eyes on the object of Kitty’s affection, Count Alexei Kirillovich Vronsky, played by blonde, pucker-lipped Aaron Taylor-Johnson.
EW talked to Vikander about working with Knightley and Taylor-Johnson, wearing those amazingly cinched-in and ornate corseted dresses in the film, and starring in another period drama as different kind of royalty, the Danish queen Caroline Matilda, alongside Mads Mikkelsen (aka the villain in 2006 James Bond romp Casino Royale), in A Royal Affair, Denmark’s official foreign film entry for next year’s Oscars.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur -- Blood vs. Water': Meet the 9 pairs
- 'Walking Dead': See 4 new EW collector's covers
- Chelsea Handler signs off, showered with love (and Ellen DeGeneres)
- MTV's 'Are You the One?' season 2: Meet the cast, first twist revealed
- 'Transparent' First Look: 'Dad is a woman'
- 'Pretty Little Liars'; 'Bachelor in Paradise' recaps
- Kristin Bauer van Straten returning to 'Once Upon a Time' as Maleficent
- 'Sons of Anarchy' shares new, appropriately unsettling photos and portraits
- New 'Sons of Anarchy' photos are appropriately unsettling
- New 'Survivor' cast boasts MLB pitcher John Rocker, Spider-Man actor, and 'Amazing Race' twins
- 'True Blood' star Kristin Bauer van Straten returning to 'Once Upon a Time' for major arc
- Ellen DeGeneres, Gwen Stefani, more say goodbye to 'Chelsea Lately'
- Homer Simpson takes on the Ice Bucket Challenge