• Kirsten Dunst has been acting for most of her life, and recently it seems she’s turning to more director-driven projects. These have seen varying degrees of critical and box office success, including Lars Von Trier’s Melancholia and Walter Salles’ On The Road, as well as the occasional raunchy comedy (Bachelorette) and cameo role (Anchorman: The Legend Continues). Now, Dunst is set to join director Jeff Nichols (Mud), as he re-teams with his Take Shelter star Michael Shannon in Midnight Special, about a father and son on the run. Details are scarce, but the report says that along the way, they discover that the 8-year-old son has some kind of special powers. Joel Edgerton (The Great Gatsby) also stars. [Deadline]
Tag: Antonio Banderas (1-7 of 7)
Bruce Willis may be out of The Expendables 3, but Sylvester Stallone continues to enlist reinforcements. In addition to adding Harrison Ford, Stallone confirmed today that Mel Gibson, who’d long been rumored to join the project, will in fact, play the bad guy in the upcoming sequel. Also coming aboard: Stallone’s Assassins co-star Antonio Banderas, who Stallone called “a consummate actor and a gentleman” in a statement announcing the news.
• Jennifer Lopez may be the latest network exec, but she’s still a movie star. The triple-threat singer is set to star opposite Antonio Banderas in The 33, a film based on the true story of 33 Chilean miners who were trapped in a mine for 69 days in 2010. Martin Sheen and Rodrigo Santoro have also joined the cast of the Patricia Riggen (La Misma Luna)-directed drama. [THR]
•Argo actor Scoot McNairy will join Jude Law in Black Sea, about a search for sunken treasure aboard a submarine in the — you guessed it — Black Sea. Kevin MacDonald is directing the Focus Features film. [Deadline]
If you thought Danny Trejo’s Machete wouldn’t be back for more bloodshed at the end of Robert Rodriguez’ Machete, then you’ve clearly never seen Machete. Example No. 1: The former Federale returns in Machete Kills, freed from a rope noose at the request of the President of the United States of America to kill. Other stuff, too. (Tacos, occasionally.) Michelle Rodriguez lost an eye? With Demián Bichir, Lady Gaga, and Carlos Estevez — yes, Charlie Sheen — with a big gun and a fancy new title: President.
Watch the trailer after the jump:
The Los Angeles Film Festival has lined up its opening night film. I’m So Excited!, the latest from Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar (Talk to Her, Volver), will kick off the festival on June 13.
Film Independent, which produces the L.A. Film Festival, announced the opening night selection on Wednesday. The festival will be the North American premiere of I’m So Excited!, following openings across Europe last month. A U.S. release date is set for June 28. READ FULL STORY
When last we saw Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar, he was making movies about grieving doctors cutting off people’s genitalia and making them wear strange body socks and live in brilliantly colorful houses.
And then, in December, a teaser for his next film leaked, and the world wondered: Could I’m So Excited really be that different from The Skin I Live In?
Based on the film’s first full trailer, released by Total Film, the answer is yes, yes, and yes. Watch it below.
If the lap dance in the newly released photo above is any indication, the Machete sequel Machete Kills, both directed by Robert Rodriguez, will be yet another sassy, violent romp starring perennial tough guy Danny Trejo.
Open Road Films announced Thursday it’s distributing the film, out in wide release in 2013. The second movie in the trilogy, about Trejo as craggy faced ex-Federale agent Machete, hails from a screenplay by Kyle Ward, based on a story by Marcel Rodriguez and Robert Rodriguez. Besides Trejo, the movie stars a long list of known names, including pop diva Lady Gaga, making her acting debut, as well as Oscar nominee Demian Bichir, Sofia Vergara, Amber Heard, Charlie Sheen, Antonio Banderas, Jessica Alba, Alexa Vega, Vanessa Hudgens, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Mel Gibson. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Birdman' wins Best Cast, Movies, at SAG Awards; see full list of honorees
- Miss Universe 2015: 10 out of this world moments
- 'Outlander' returns in April--but you can see comeback episode's first scene here now
- SAG Awards 2015: 10 favorite speeches
- SAG Awards 2015: Red carpet arrivals
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' sneak peek: 'See you in court, kids'
- EW's SAG Awards Party 2015: What the stars wore
- 'Downton Abbey'; 'SNL'; 'Galavant'; 'Real Housewives of Atlanta' recaps