This morning, the members of the New York Film Critics Circle, including me, voted to expel Armond White, the former critic of the now-defunct New York Press (and currently the editor and movie critic of CityArts), from the group. To me, it was a sad moment — pathetic, really, though Armond brought it on himself. A week ago, at the Circle’s annual awards dinner, White made a rude and bellicose spectacle of himself, as he did the year before, by heckling one of the winners — in this case, Steve McQueen, the director of 12 Years a Slave, a movie that White, in his review, had dismissed as “torture porn.” Make no mistake: He has every right to dislike 12 Years a Slave, a movie that he considers not a powerful historical docudrama but a sensationalist feel-bad fantasy that is subtly designed to make white people feel good about their own guilt. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Armond White (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Gotham' up, 'Selfie' down? Insiders predict fall TV rookie prospects
- 'Project Runway' recap: 'The History of the American Girl'
- 'Dating Naked: The Wedding': Naked body painting, naked drum circle, and more we saw
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' teaser: Bet you didn't see THAT coming
- Caleb on 'Big Brother': I'd have taken Derrick to final and 'I would have won'
- 'Maze Runner': How big at the box office?
- 'Hawaii Five-0' season premiere sneak peek: McGarrett and Danno go to therapy
- Ernie Hudson tells us 'Ghostbusters' stories at key NYC locations
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Castle' cast gets slap-happy in season 6 gag reel
- Fox is finally making 'X-Men' spinoff 'Deadpool'
- Insiders predict which new shows will be hits (and flops)
- Naked body painting! Naked drum circle! And other things we saw at 'Dating Naked: The Wedding'