At the Oscar Nominees Luncheon on Monday, EW asked Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club), Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips), and Julie Delpy (Before Midnight) about the people who inspired them in their careers and got them interested in the movies to begin with. From Spencer Tracy to a little-known Egyptian comedian to Monty Python, check out the video to hear more: READ FULL STORY
Tag: Barkhad Abdi (1-2 of 2)
There are several first-time Oscar nominees in the acting categories this year, but Barkhad Abdi is the ultimate rookie phenom: Before being cast as the Somali pirate leader Muse in Captain Phillips, Abdi had never acted at all, period. So it’s understandable that he’s having a little trouble wrapping his head around his Best Supporting Actor nomination for Captain Phillips. “I’m in a state of shock,” Abdi says. “I couldn’t sleep much last night and I watched [the nominations] on TV. My little sister called first, and then after that the phone just started ringing so much the battery died on me. I’m just trying to comprehend everything that’s going on.”
Abdi, who was born in Somalia and emigrated with his family to Minneapolis at age 14, was working as a cab driver when director Paul Greengrass cast him in Captain Phillips. “I wasn’t sure of myself,” he says. “I wasn’t a complete actor. I was just auditioning with no previous experience. Paul Greengrass gets all the credit, honestly. He’s the one that believed in me and pushed me and, any time that I messed up, he was the one that would find a way to make me understand it so I could be that character.”
It’s been a head-spinning few months for the 28-year-old Abdi, who plans to move to L.A. soon to pursue more roles. “It’s been a really wild ride,” he says. “Every time it gets bigger and bigger and bigger and now it’s an Oscar nomination. It’s just a little too big to comprehend. But that’s life. I’m just looking forward to the next adventure.”
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Project Runway' finale recap: And the winner is...
- 'Grey’s Anatomy': Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'How to Get Away With Murder': Talk about 'We're Not Friends'
- 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Grey's Anatomy'; 'Scandal'; 'Reign'; 'Gracepoint' recaps
- Taylor Swift's '1989' review: Losing herself in 'pop'?
- Brad Pitt talks 'Fury' (or is that 'Furry'?) on 'Between Two Ferns'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': 17 GIFs that keep on giving
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys 'R' Us after 'Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- Videogame face-off: 'FIFA 10' vs. 'NBA2K10'
- Peter Jackson walks us through his battle plans for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- Zach Galifianakis gets a little too real with Brad Pitt on 'Between Two Ferns'