• After being subjected to an absentee father in the form of Kyle Chandler in The Spectacular Now, there’s a new dad in Miles Teller‘s life. Paul Reiser has signed on to writer-director Damien Chazelle’s Whiplash, the feature version of his Sundance-winning short, which is expected to begin shooting in the next few weeks. The Aliens actor recently appeared in Steven Soderbergh’s Behind the Candelabra and is currently filming the comedy Life After Beth, starring Aubrey Plaza, Anna Kendrick, and Dane DeHaan. [THR]
Tag: Ben Whishaw (1-3 of 3)
Casting Net: Dennis Haysbert takes on Michael Clarke Duncan's role in 'Sin City 2.' Plus: Timothy Olyphant, Giancarlo Esposito, Ben Whishaw
• 24‘s Dennis Haysbert is in talks to play Manute in Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, the role originated in 2005′s Sin City by actor Michael Clarke Duncan, who passed away earlier this year at 54. Haysbert will join Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Jaime King, and Rosario Dawsome, who are all reprising their roles in the first film; Jamie Chung is taking over Devon Aoki’s role. As with the first film, Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller are sharing writing and directing duties on the film, based on Miller’s series of Sin City graphic novels. [THR]
• Timothy Olyphant (FX’s Justified) will join Kurt Russell, Peter Sarsgaard, Richard Jenkins, and Jennifer Carpenter (Showtime’s Dexter) in Bone Tomahawk, a horror Western about four men who are tasked with saving the prisoners of a band of man-eating cave people. First time feature director S. Craig Zahler also penned the script. [Deadline]
• Giancarlo Esposito (NBC’s Revolution, AMC’s Breaking Bad) has signed onto Poker Night, about a cop who must somehow piece together the stories he’s heard at his regular poker game in order to survive a serial killer with an apparent affection for elaborate mind games. Fellow bad ass character actors Ron Perlman, Titus Welliver, and Ron Eldard costar, along with young up-and-comer Beau Mirchoff (MTV’s Awkward., I Am Number Four). Greg Francis, who made his bones directing true crime documentaries for the Investigation Discovery Channel, will make his feature film directorial debut from his own script. [Deadline]
• Ben Whishaw (Skyfall, Cloud Atlas) has joined the cast of Lilting, playing the British boyfriend of a Chinese man (Andrew Leung, Comes a Bright Day) whose sudden death leaves behind a mother (Cheng Pei Pei, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) who does not speak English and feels helpless in the U.K. Writer-director Hong Khaou is making his feature debut with the film. [THR]
• Ryan Kwanten (HBO’s True Blood) and Sullivan Stapleton (Animal Kingdom) have joined Cut Snake, an Australian thriller about two ex-cons who torch a nightclub while people are still inside it, killing 15 people. (It’s inspired by a true story, awfully enough.) Tony Ayres (The Home Song Stories) will direct from a script by Aussie TV scribe Blake Ayshford. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Matt Damon keen on joining George Clooney’s ‘Monuments Men.’ Plus: Seth MacFarlane, Jason Clarke, Marcia Gay Harden
Casting Net: George Clooney teaming with Paul Greengrass. Plus: Daniel Bruhl, Guy Pearce, Rosamund Pike
Casting Net: Lenny Kravitz to play Marvin Gaye. Plus: Amy Smart, Terry Crews, Kellan Lutz
The first two James Bond films starring Daniel Craig famously took things back to basics — no cartoonishly eccentric über-villain, no wildly over-the-top secret lair, and no over-elaborate sci-fi gadgetry. Most of the changes were quite welcome, but that last one also meant the loss of one of the franchise’s most beloved characters: Q, the master of spy technology at MI6 and a sharp comic foil for Agent 007.
EW is happy to confirm that Q will return in the latest James Bond film, Skyfall, as played by actor Ben Whishaw (Bright Star, I’m Not There, Perfume). Q will aid Bond’s mission to help save MI6 after it comes under attack thanks to a looming threat in M’s (Judi Dench) past. Check out this exclusive first look at Whishaw as the character below: READ FULL STORY
- 'Sound of Music': We rank every song
- Carrie Underwood talks 'Sound of Music'
- 'Sound of Music': 3 dress rehearsal photos
- 5 fall TV shows finding their groove
- TV midseason calendar: When hiatus begins/ends
- 'Project Runway All Stars' meet 'The Simpsons'
- 'August: Osage County': First Look at new trailer
- Patton Oswalt vs. Lean Cuisine: Get a taste!
- Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman: 13 thoughts on the bombshell-casting bombshell
- 'The Sound of Music Live!': Take a peek at dress rehearsal -- PHOTOS
- 'Survivor' recap: Hayden's rustling feathers
- 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water': Jeff Probst on that CRAZY tribal council
- 'Veronica Mars' movie gets a release date; plus, watch a clip! -- EXCLUSIVE