• Adventureland co-stars Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart have signed on to play a couple in the action comedy American Ultra. Eisenberg’s stoner character Mike becomes the unwitting target of a government operation, disrupting his small-town life with his girlfriend, Phoebe (Stewart). Project X helmer Nima Nourizadeh is set to direct from a script by Max Landis (Chronicle). [THR]
Tag: Bérénice Bejo (1-5 of 5)
Cannes 2013: 'The Past,' the new film by the director of 'A Separation,' confirms Asghar Farhadi as a modern master
If you had gone to see every single one of the acclaimed movies from Iran that have played in the U.S. since the mid-’90s — the lyrically subdued Abbas Kiarostami films, like Through the Olive Trees and Taste of Cherry, that were hailed at the time as minimalist masterpieces; the feminist political parable The Circle; scrappy fables like The White Balloon, Children of Heaven, and A Time for Drunken Horses; the enchantingly colorful woven rug of a movie Gabbeh — it would be perfectly reasonable for you to come away from that experience thinking that Iran is a land of people who live in the countryside and have simple, non-intellectual jobs, who don’t talk very much, and, what’s more, that their extreme verbal reticence expresses a kind of emotional simplicity as well. It was widely understood, and discussed in the press, that the holy quietude of Iranian cinema was, in part, a tactical way of getting around the watchful eye of the country’s theocratic regime, a method of delivering political statements almost literally between the lines. Nevertheless, going to an Iranian movie often made it feel as if you were going back in time, watching characters almost metaphysically removed from the roiling complexities of the contemporary world. READ FULL STORY
Some familiar faces from the 2012 Oscars are back in the festival circuit. Bérénice Bejo (The Artist) and Asghar Farhadi (The Separation) have collaborated for French-language film The Past. The movie’s first trailer with English subtitles was released online Monday.
Bejo earned an Oscar nomination for her role in The Artist, and Farhadi directed A Separation, the first Iranian movie to win an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. The Past, which Farhadi both wrote and directed, is another domestic drama, this time focusing on a French woman divorcing her Iranian husband.
Check out the trailer below: READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Ricky Gervais in talks to star in 'The Muppets' sequel. Plus: Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, Eddie Redmayne, Berenice Bejo
• Ricky Gervais, sure to lend his feisty brand of British snark, is in talks to star alongside Kermit, Miss Piggy and the rest of the Muppets gang in the sequel to 2011’s The Muppets, EW can confirm. Gervais would play off of Modern Family Ty Burrell‘s Interpol inspector in the Europe-set comedy. James Bobin, who helmed the previous Muppets film, is back to direct from a script he co-wrote with Nicholas Stoller. Stoller co-wrote The Muppets with Jason Segel, and directed him in this year’s The Five-Year Engagement. The Hollywood Reporter first reported the news.
• Tom Hardy (The Dark Knight Rises) and Noomi Rapace (Prometheus) are in talks to headline Animal Rescue, directed by Michael R. Roskam from a script by Dennis Lehane based on his own short story. The film circles around the story of a bartender in Boston who saves a dog and is targeted by the dog’s former owner, while a mob-related crime plot also plays out. Given Hardy and Rapace’s equal ability to take on intense, physical parts, their pairing would create amazing friction, alongside direction by Oscar-nominated Bullhead helmer Roskam. [Variety] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Berenice Bejo replaces Marion Cotillard in new film from 'A Separation' director. Plus: Brad Pitt, and a new baddie for 'Thor' 2
• Brad Pitt and Denzel Washington are entering into introductory negotiations to star in Candy Store, which Stephen Gaghan (Syriana) is set direct from his own screenplay. The crime thriller follows a one-time government spook whose attempt to reboot his life as a New York City cop is derailed when he realizes the same bad guys he had been fighting in his old job are alive and well in his new one. [THR]
• Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Lost, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra) has joined Thor: The Dark World as Algrim the Strong, one of the evil Dark Elves of Svartalfheim (gesundheit!). Christopher Eccleston plays their leader, Malekith. [THR]
• The Killing‘s Mireille Enos has joined the ensemble cast of the thriller Ten, about a DEA team that starts dying one by one after they use an official operation to abscond with an illicit fortune. She’ll play the wife of Sam Worthington‘s character, as well as a member of the team, which also includes Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terrence Howard, Malin Akerman, Joe Manganiello and Dawn Olivieri (House of Lies). David Ayer is directing from a screenplay by Skip Woods (Swordfish). [Deadline]
• Alexander Ludwig is trading in the arena of The Hunger Games for the battlefield of Afghanistan in Lone Survivor, writer-director Peter Berg‘s film based on the true story of Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell. Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Ben Foster, Emile Hirsch, and Eric Bana costar. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Kevin Costner lands mentor role in Jack Ryan reboot. Plus: Kat Dennings, Olivia Williams
Casting Net: Bradley Cooper looks to play detective in ‘Bad Blood and Trouble.’ Plus: John Goodman, Rafe Spall, Megan Park
Casting Net: Carey Mulligan to hunt for rich husband in ‘Nancy and Danny.’ Plus: Tom Hardy, Zoe Saldana, Joy Bryant
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy' takes its final ride: See new EW cover
- 'Sons of Anarchy'; 'Agents of SHIELD'; 'The Voice'; 'Mindy Project'; 'New Girl'; 'Utopia': Tuesday TV recaps
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Walton Goggins on that Venus-Tig moment
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter, cast go inside 'Poor Little Lambs' ending
- 'Bones' sneak peek: The team vows to avenge Sweets
- Ben Affleck teases Jon Stewart: 'Rosewater' or 'Argo Jr.'?
- Tricia Helfer in Syfy's space thriller 'Ascension': First trailer
- 'Person of Interest' shows off the new secret HQ: Take the tour
- On the Books: Harry Potter collector sets Guinness World Record
- 'Twilight Saga' returning with five short films on Facebook
- 'Sons of Anarchy' guest star Walton Goggins on that Venus-Tig moment
- First trailer for Syfy's space thriller 'Ascension' starring Tricia Helfer
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Poor Little Lambs'