For those of you who haven’t been following the Oscar race like a college scout at a high-school football game, you might have some questions about this year’s slate of Best Picture nominees. First and foremost, why are there nine of them? Couldn’t the Academy have found one more film and made it a nice, round group of ten? And how did small-ish movies like The Tree of Life and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close get in over crowd-pleasers like Bridesmaids and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? The answer, to your algebra teacher’s delight, involves some math. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Best Picture Oscar (31-40 of 151)
“The battle of France is over. The battle of Britain is about to begin.”
With those words, spoken in June 1940, newly elected Prime Minister Winston Churchill prepared his country for the Nazi air assault aimed at decimating the flying forces of the United Kingdom. Now two Oscar winners are joining forces to announce the battle is beginning again.
Producer Graham King, who won the Best Picture Academy Award for The Departed, has hired Robert Towne, who claimed the original screenplay prize for Chinatown, to pen a new script about the attacks.
The battled lasted from July until October of 1940, with spectacular aerial battles unfolding over the cities, and later citizens huddled in basements and subway tunnels (as seen in the photo) during The Blitz. British resilience ultimately gave Hitler one of his first major losses.
Had he succeeded in decimating the British military and populace, the Nazis might have launched a land invasion of England, occupying the country as they did France. It would have later deprived the United States and Soviet Union of an important base of operations and a key ally in the war.
King (The Town, The Aviator) described the film as a kind of personal passion project. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'SNL': How'd Lena Dunham do?
- Oscars: What it's like to go with Jennifer Lawrence
- 'True Detective': Fun fan sites
- 'Supernatural' spinoff gets new title
- 'Reign': What did 'uncensored' sex scenes add?
- 'Bachelor': Clare and Juan Pablo find wedding song?
- TV pilot season: 10 trends for fall
- Stephen Colbert visits Jimmy Fallon: 'Truth or Truth?'
- Jennifer Lawrence's best friend wrote a behind-the-scenes account of Oscars night
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles
- Box office update: '300: Rise of an Empire' obliterates competition with a $17.7 million Friday
- 'True Detective': The most insightful fan tributes