The Ides of March, George Clooney’s latest directorial effort, has just premiered at the Venice Film Festival, and if you ask me, we now have the first sure-thing Best Picture nominee on our hands. A contemporary echo of Clooney’s multi-nominated 2005 drama Good Night, and Good Luck, Ides — an inside look at a fictional presidential campaign — is smart, but not overly complicated; cynical, but not completely depressing; and timely, but not forced. Plus, it boasts top-flight acting from its entire cast, including Ryan Gosling, Paul Giamatti, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Marisa Tomei, and Evan Rachel Wood. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Best Supporting Actor Oscar (11-20 of 49)
Yesterday my colleague Adam Markovitz explained — with David Fincher’s help — how actor Armie Hammer managed to portray twins Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in The Social Network. His performance (or should I say performances) provide a bit of comic relief in the film and are truly a sight to behold. I’d even call Hammer a dark horse candidate for a Best Supporting Actor nomination if the film becomes a major overall player. (Though of course he’ll have to compete with his own costars Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake for the nod.)
In Part 4 of our interview with the Social Network gang, we focus on Hammer’s achievement, particularly in light of Fincher’s penchant for wanting dozens and dozens of takes for each scene. It doesn’t take a mathematician to figure out that Hammer had it worse than anyone else.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes
- 'Colbert Report' swan song as graceful as it gets
- Jeff Probst reveals the secret 'Survivor' ending you didn't see
- 'White Collar': Perfect 'Au Revoir' to our favorite con artist?
- Stephen Colbert's 6 most awkward in-character interviews
- 'Suits' promo reveals Louis' next move
- People Magazine Awards: 5 best moments
- 'Game of Thrones' refashions Arya's look
- 'The Colbert Report' wraps up with an immortal, star-studded finale
- Louis' next move revealed in 'Suits' promo -- exclusive
- 'People' names Kate Upton 'Sexiest Woman Alive'
- 'White Collar' series finale: The perfect goodbye to our favorite con artist
- 'The Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln talks 'cruel' twist and reveals the true meaning behind the 'shut…