EW has confirmed that Ashley Judd has joined the cast of Divergent, the big-screen adaptation of Veronica Roth’s dystopian YA bestseller. Judd — who recently abandoned her bid for one of Kentucky’s U.S. Senate seats — will play Natalie Prior, the mother of Divergent‘s heroine Tris (Shailene Woodley). (THR first exclusively reported this news.) READ FULL STORY
Tag: Book Adaptations (41-50 of 215)
We’ve been eagerly following all the casting announcements on Divergent — the film adaptation of Veronica Roth’s best-selling YA series — and today comes official word from Summit Entertainment that shooting has begun in Chicago along with two new members of the cast.
In addition to Shailene Woodley as Tris, Theo James as Tobias “Four” Eaton, and Kate Winslet as the devious Jeanine Matthew — the filmmakers announced that Mekhi Phifer (E.R.) has signed on to play Max, a Dauntless leader, and Dexter‘s Ray Stevenson will portray Marcus, a high-ranking member of Abnegation (who has close ties with a principal character).
READ FULL STORY
Beautiful Ruins, the epic romance novel EW counted among 2012’s best fiction, has found a director. Todd Field will helm the project and will also co-write the script with Jess Walter, author of the best-selling book.
The news was announced today by the heads of Cross Creek Pictures (Black Swan) and Smuggler Films (Greetings From Tim Buckley), which are set to produce the project. READ FULL STORY
Shadowhunters, your new Mortal Instruments: City of Bones trailer is here! And if you thought the first trailer looked epic, then you’re in for a treat.
Sony’s film, which is adapted from the first book in a a planned series of six novels by Cassandra Clare (five are currently available), stars Lily Collins as Clary, a teenager who discovers that she is descended from a magical line of a Shadowhunters, half-angels with the power to kill demons. YA adaptations have been bombing left and right on the big screen lately (cough, cough, Beautiful Creatures), but so far, so good, City of Bones.
In the new trailer, we get plenty of the golden-haired badass Jace (Jamie Campbell Bower), but we also have our first look at Game of Thrones‘ Lena Headey as Clary’s mother, as well as a bevy of impressive-looking demons. Watch it below: READ FULL STORY
Summit Entertainment confirms (finally!) that Kate Winslet will indeed star as Jeanine Matthews in the Neil Burger directed YA thriller, Divergent. The cast has filled out nicely in the last couple of weeks: in addition to star Shailene Woodley (who just this week was offered the role in the film adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars), the cast members are as follows:
Theo James as Dauntless instructor, Tobias “Four” Eaton; Jai Courtney as Eric, former Erudite transfer and sadistic leader of the Dauntless faction; Zoë Kravitz as Tris’s friend Christina; Maggie Q as Tori, a Dauntless ally; and Ansel Elgort as Tris’s brother, Caleb.
Production will start next month in Chicago.
Casting Net: Kiefer Sutherland to play villain in disaster movie 'Pompeii'; Plus, Kristen Wiig, Reese Witherspoon, more
• Kiefer Sutherland is in final talks to play the villain in Paul W.S. Anderson‘s (Resident Evil) take on the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Consider him the Billy Zane of Pompeii, the history-based disaster romance movie that somehow didn’t get made when Titanic and Pearl Harbor were reeling in the big bucks at the box office. Sutherland joins Kit Harington (Game of Thrones), Emily Browning (Sucker Punch), and Jared Harris (Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows) in the film that began production in Toronto last week. [THR]
• Christina Applegate isn’t finding any shortage of work after her sudden departure from NBC’s Up All Night. The comedienne is in final negotiations to star in Vacation, a reboot of the franchise that began with 1983’s National Lampoon’s Vacation. Also set to appear in the film is Ed Helms, who will play Rusty, Anthony Michael Hall‘s role in the original. [THR] READ FULL STORY
'The Host': Cast and director Andrew Niccol say they're game for a sequel, chat about working with Stephenie Meyer
Sci-fi alien invasion flick The Host, based on the novel by Twilight author Stephenie Meyer, is still over a week away from its release date, but the talent behind the film are already saying they’d be up for making a sequel.
The Host, which centers on feisty Melanie Stryder, one of the few free humans left on Earth until she’s captured and inhabited by an alien parasite, had its world premiere in Los Angeles on Tuesday. At the event, writer-director Andrew Niccol (Gattaca) told EW that he’d be interested in making the big screen adaptation of Meyer’s in-the-works sequel to the 2008 novel. In fact, he seemed rather eager to get going on film No. 2: “Show me the book, Stephenie,” he joked. “You shouldn’t be here. You should be home writing.”
Luckily for dozens of fans who scored a spot along the premiere’s blue carpet, Meyer wasn’t at home writing. EW asked the best-seller author for an update on her follow-up to The Host, which she has said may end up becoming a trilogy. READ FULL STORY
Shailene Woodley has been offered the role of Hazel Grace Lancaster in the adaptation of John Green’s The Fault in Our Stars.
“During our exhaustive search to find Hazel Grace Lancaster, I saw some stunning auditions by today’s finest young actresses,” director Josh Boone tells EW in an exclusive statement. “Over 250 girls read for the part, but it wasn’t until Shailene stepped in front of the camera that I truly saw Hazel for the first time. It was like lightning striking. I can’t wait for the rest of the world to see what I have.”
The best selling The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (and an EW Best Fiction of 2012 pick) tells the story of Gus and Hazel, two teenagers who meet in a cancer support group and fall in love. (From the EW review: “Their ensuing love story is as real as it is doomed, and the gut-busting laughs that come early in the novel make the luminous final pages all the more heartbreaking.”)
READ FULL STORY
And the rumor mill continues to churn.
Last summer, Emma Watson tried to quell rumors that she would star in Focus Features’ big screen adaptation of E L James’ erotica novel Fifty Shades of Grey, but the role of Anastasia Steele just seems to keep finding its way back to her.
This time the reports of her casting comes from hacker collective Anonymous, which with hacker team M3du5a stole and published documents from Constantin Film’s internal server. One document says Emma Watson is attached to star in Fifty Shades of Grey. READ FULL STORY
'Room 237': Check out the poster for the awesome new documentary about Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' -- EXCLUSIVE
In Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 horror classic The Shining, Scatman Crothers’ chef Hallorann warns Danny Lloyd’s Danny to stay the hell away from room 237 of the Overlook Hotel — which turns out to excellent, if ignored, advice. But while room 237 is to be avoided, the new documentary Room 237 is a must-see, one which EW’s Owen Gleiberman has described as a “mesmerizing pop-art document.” The work of first-time director Rodney Ascher, the film showcases the theories of five obsessive Shining fans as to what Kubrick really intended with his Stephen King adaptation and features footage from both that snowy chiller and many others.
Room 237 opens theatrically on March 29 and will also be available on VOD, SundanceNOW, and other digital outlets from that date. You can check out the film’s trailer, synopsis, and — exclusively — the new Room 237 poster below.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': How big at the box office?
- 'Big Brother' recap: Evicted houseguest is...
- 'Project Runway' recap: Unconventional movie night
- 'Honorable Woman': Thriller deals deftly with a complex subject
- 'The Quest' premiere: Bored game
- Comic-Con: Why Team 'Twilight' made it better
- DC Comics characters we'd invite to the 'Arrow'/'Flash' party
- Chris Hardwick shares his Comic-Con '14 photo diary
- STAHP in the name of love 966
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 595
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 459
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams and other directors are working to save movie film 330
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 285
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams, and other directors are trying to save Kodak
- Dick Smith, makeup artist of 'The Godfather,' 'The Exorcist': A tribute
- Box office preview: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' aims for a cosmic debut
- Movie Review: Guardians of the Galaxy
- Sony releases surprise NSync album; NSync is surprised