I’m always interested when a movie dramatically surpasses box office expectations — not for what it says about the film, but for what it says about the audience. In the case of 42, the Jackie Robinson biopic that smashed the opening-weekend record for a baseball movie and is now looking, this weekend, to continue that hot streak, the reasons for the film’s success might seem to be obvious. It is — at least in my book — a rock-solid sports movie, and it’s also a drama of race in America that allows us to experience the well-worn past with a new vividness and insight. It’s worth noting that a number of people don’t agree with that: They look at 42 and see a complacent liberal message movie with a flawless and therefore overly sanded off and uncomplicated hero. What were they expecting, Jackie Robinson Unchained? READ FULL STORY
Tag: Brian Helgeland (1-2 of 2)
One of the most instrumental figures in professional sports, Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in Major League Baseball when he signed with Brooklyn Dodgers general manager Branch Rickey in 1945, and started for the Dodgers in 1947 after a year in the minor leagues. Despite that monumental achievement only one feature film has been made about Robinson’s life, 1950′s The Jackie Robinson Story – starring Robinson as himself — until now.
Some 66 years after his first major league game, Robinson’s story will return to the big screen on April 12, 2013, with Harrison Ford as the tenacious Rickey and relative unknown Chadwick Boseman as Robinson. In the new trailer for 42 — a reference to Robinson’s uniform number — we get a good taste of the iconic sweep writer-director Brian Helgeland (Payback, A Knight’s Tale) appears to be bringing to Robinson’s story, as well as its the thematic focus.
“You want a player who doesn’t have the guts to fight back?” Robinson says to Rickey.
“No,” replies Rickey. “I want a player who’s got the guts not to fight back.”
Check out the trailer below: READ FULL STORY
- Grammys 2014 nominees are...
- 'Grammy Nominations Concert': Your take?
- 'HIMYM,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Sound of Music': Movie's Von Trapp kids say...
- 'Sound of Music': Laura Benanti on big night
- Music on TV: What was THAT song?
- 10 best movies of '13: Owen Gleiberman picks...
- 10 best movies of '13: Chris Nashawaty picks...
- 'Sound of Music' ratings soar: NBC's biggest Thursday in 4 years
- Grammy Nominations 2014: See the list of nominees
- 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'How I Met Your Mother,' 'Revolution,' 'Supernatural': Find out what's next in the Spoiler Room
- Vin Diesel recalls his conversation with Paul Walker's mom
- 'Family Guy': What's next for Brian