Daniel Radcliffe has been set to play the engineer, Washington Roebling, who built the Brooklyn Bridge in the aptly titled Brooklyn Bridge for several months now. But for the film, which is inspired by the bridge’s real-life construction, key to the actual story were Roebling’s father and wife, who have now also been cast.
Tag: Brie Larson (1-9 of 9)
Casting Net: Meg Ryan to direct, star in 'Human Comedy' adaptation; Plus, Forest Whitaker in 'Taken 3,' more
• Meg Ryan will make her directorial debut with Ithaca, an adaptation of William Saroyan‘s novel The Human Comedy, which frequent co-star Tom Hanks will executive-produce. The story follows the teenage Homer Macauley, left at home in Ithaca, Calif., to care for his mother, sister, and little brother, Ulysses, while his older brother fights in World War II. Ryan will also star in the film opposite Melanie Griffith, Sam Shepard, and Jack Quaid (Ryan’s 21-year-old son, who played Marvel in The Hunger Games). Clarence Brown directed a version of the story in a 1943 film starring Mickey Rooney. [THR] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: 'Lone Survivor's' Ben Foster heads to 'Warcraft'; Plus, Kevin Hart cast as LeBron James' brother, more
• Ben Foster (3:10 to Yuma) and Dominic Cooper (Captain America: The First Avenger) have signed on to star in Warcraft for Legendary Pictures, based on the bestselling video game World of Warcraft. Source Code and Moon helmer Duncan Jones is set to direct. Foster can be seen next with Mark Wahlberg in the Navy SEALs pic Lone Survivor (out Jan. 10, 2014) and Cooper’s next release finds him playing the bad guy to Aaron Paul’s street racer in Need for Speed (out March 14, 2014). [The Wrap]
• Idris Elba (Thor: The Dark World) has signed on to star in the thriller Bastille Day, which finds a young artist and a former CIA agent teaming up on an anti-terrorist mission in France. Baran bo Odar (The Silence) is set to direct. Andrew Baldwin (The Outsider) penned the script. Elba can be seen next as Nelson Mandela in the biopic Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (out Dec. 18). [Variety]
• Brie Larson, who has had a breakout year with leading and supporting roles in Short Term 12, The Spectacular Now, and Don Jon, is in talks to join Mark Wahlberg in the remake of The Gambler, the 1974 James Caan starrer that was loosely inspired by a the Dostoyevsky novella. It’s still very early in the process, but Larson would take on the role of a student who Wahlberg’s Jim Bennett, a literature professor, is in love with. Rupert Wyatt, who worked with Wahlberg on Rise of the Planet of the Apes, is set to direct. Oscar winner William Monahan (The Departed) is penning the script. [Deadline]
READ FULL STORY
In Short Term 12, Brie Larson (21 Jump Street, The Spectacular Now) and John Gallagher Jr. (The Newsroom) play Grace and Mason — co-workers by day at a group home for at-risk teens and lovers by night. They have incredible chemistry, both with each other and with the kids they work with in the film. Directed by Destin Cretton, the story takes from his own experiences working in a foster care home for teens before he headed to film school.
Check out the exclusive clip below, where we see Larson and Gallagher’s interaction as Grace and Mason in a scene at the house they share in the film. Then watch the actors discuss their experience making the film in an in-studio interview.
Now that it’s scooped up a trio of film festival prizes — the Grand Jury and Audience awards at SXSW in March and an Audience Award at the L.A. Film Festival this week — Short Term 12 looks poised for a shot at an even bigger, unofficial title when it comes out Aug. 23: sleeper hit.
The indie dramedy follows the lives of Grace (21 Jump Street‘s Brie Larson) and Mason (The Newsroom‘s John Gallagher Jr.), two counselors at a foster care facility for troubled teenagers. The mix of roiling emotions and dark humor they find there comes straight from the real-life experiences of first-time writer-director Destin Cretton, who worked at a similar facility before going to film school. Once there, he made a brief prototype of Short Term 12 as his thesis film in 2009. Four years later, his full-length version is a festival darling, which seems to have caught the filmmaker a little off guard. “It’s weird for me to have something so personal be accepted by so many people,” says Cretton, who cites Hoop Dreams and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest as inspirations. “Awards are wonderful, but it’s really just a reflection of the wonderful conversations that we’ve been getting after the screenings.”
Check out the movie’s new poster — an EW exclusive — below.
READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: 'Thor 2,' 'Iron Man 3' land new villains. Plus: Anthony Hopkins, Bradley Cooper, Owen Wilson, Olivia Wilde
• Speaking of Thor 2, that sequel may stand in the way of Anthony Hopkins joining another sequel, RED 2. Hopkins would play a baddie in the latter film — which will star Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Mary-Louise Parker, and Catherine Zeta-Jones — but his involvement hinges on his ability to schedule around playing Odin in Thor 2. [Deadline]
• Elsewhere in the Marvel-verse, two actors have signed onto Iron Man 3, which just started filming this week. One is quite familiar: Jon Favreau will return to play Tony Stark bodyguard Happy Hogan, notable since Favreau passed the directing reins for the franchise to Shane Black (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). And actor Ashley Hamilton (Sunset Beach) is in talks to get in Stark’s way as the cyborg Firepower, alongside villains played by James Badge Dale and Ben Kingsley. [THR, Variety]
Check out project news for BRADLEY COOPER, OWEN WILSON, OLIVIA WILDE, BRIE LARSON, MORRIS CHESTNUT, ERIC STONESTREET, and KEVIN HART below: READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'SNL': How'd Cameron Diaz do?
- Tyler James Williams' 'Walking Dead' preview: 'We're going back to get the squad'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- Stephen Merchant answers burning Q's about 'Hello Ladies: The Movie' (including THAT cameo)
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': A movie, or just an extended prologue for the movie yet to come?
- 'Mockingjay': Hear Jennifer Lawrence sing 'The Hanging Tree'
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Bodies of Work: 49 Unforgettable Nude Scenes
- Cameron Diaz hosts 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend -- talk about it here!
- Bobby Moynihan: Drunk Uncle, Aunt Linda, and Stefon are one big family
- 20 Classic Movie/TV Bikinis