There’s something almost reassuring about the fact that in 2013, a movie sex scene could still be controversial. This time, however, the controversy isn’t coming from the forces of conservatism — from a clampdown by the ratings board or from family newspapers that don’t want to advertise a film they deem indecent. This time, the clampdown comes from the forces of the liberal-left. (That’s very 2013.) When Blue Is the Warmest Color played last month at the Cannes Film Festival, the three-hour French lesbian drama, with its lengthy and explicit scenes of bedroom intimacy, received a mostly rapturous response. There were instant cries that the movie would win the Palme d’Or, and it did. But there were also murmurs of discontent. In The New York Times, Manohla Dargis wrote a dissenting view, arguing that the film raised troubling issues about the depiction of female sexuality on screen; she said that the film’s explicitness wasn’t so much artful as it was a case of pandering to the male gaze. READ FULL STORY
Tag: but is it art? (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The right one won
- 'Survivor' season finale: 5 Q's for Jeff Probst and a deleted scene
- 'Survivor' season 30 scoop: Jeff Probst shares new details on 'Worlds Apart'
- 'Ascension' finale: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?
- 'The Sing-Off' holiday special: One night, six groups, 800 blazers--and the winner is...
- 'The Interview' gets the hook; would a 'prestige' film have been pulled just the same?
- Lily Rabe talks return to 'American Horror Story': 'One of the great, great joys I have'
- 'The 100'; 'American Horror Story: Freak Show'; 'Top Chef'; more TV recaps
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' finale: And the winner is...
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst reacts to the winner, Reed's harsh comments, and the entire season
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Jeff Probst gives exclusive intel on NEXT season
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The Right Person Won
- 'Ascension' finale review: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?