• Game of Thrones alum Rose Leslie is set to join Vin Diesel in The Last Witch Hunter, a supernatural thriller about a “semi-immortal” witch hunter (Diesel) who teams up with a witch (Leslie) to take down a more evil witch. And, despite being mortal enemies, the witch and the witch hunter also flirt with romance. Breck Eisner is directing the Summit pic, which recently got a polish from Dallas Buyers Club writer Melisa Wallack. [THR]
Tag: Casting Net (21-30 of 511)
• Oscar winner Rachel Weisz (The Constant Gardner) may join Michael Fassbender (12 Years A Slave) in Dreamworks’ The Light Between Oceans based on the M.L. Stedman novel. Derek Cianfrance (Blue Valentine) is directing the film about a lighthouse keeper and his wife who raise 2-month-old baby after finding it in a rowboat next to a dead body. [The Wrap]
• Fifty Shades of Grey‘s Dakota Johnson will star in Forever, Interrupted, another book-to-film adaptation. The debut novel from Taylor Jenkins Reid tells the story of a young woman who forms a relationship with the mother she never knew after her whirlwind marriage is cut short. [THR]
• Anna Friel (Pushing Daisies) and Oliver Platt (Chef) will take The Master Cleanse, a fantasy horror comedy from writer-director Bobby Miller, making his feature debut. Friel replaces replaces Chloë Sevigny (Big Love), who had a scheduling conflict and both actors join previously announced stars Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory) and Angelica Huston (Smash). [The Wrap]
• Jim Belushi (According to Jim) will play the father of a murder suspect in The Whole Truth from Frozen River director Courtney Hunt. Belushi joins previously announced stars Keanu Reeves (The Matrix) , Renee Zellweger (Cold Mountain), Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Belle), and Gabriel Basso (The Big C). Production begins this week in New Orleans. [Variety]
• House of Cards actress Kate Lyn Sheil has joined the sci-fi film Equals from director Drake Doremus (Like Crazy) and written by Nathan Parker (Moon). Guy Pearce (The Hurt Locker), Kristen Stewart (Twilight), and Nicholas Hoult will all star in the movie, which depicts a world that has no emotion until a disease unleashes sadness, love, anxiety, and other feelings. [Variety]
• Frances Fisher (Titanic) will play the mother of Ryan Reynolds in the Holocaust drama The Woman in Gold, about real-life heroine Maria Altmann, played by Oscar winner Helen Mirren (The Queen). Simon Curtis (My Week With Marilyn) will direct the film, which will also star Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black), Daniel Brühl (Rush), and Katie Holmes (Batman Begins).
PREVIOUSLY: Redford and Blanchett in talks for Rather film
• Jonah Hill is in talks to join 22 Jump Street co-star Channing Tatum in the Coen Brothers’ Hail, Caesar! The film follows a 1950s Hollywood fixer, working to keep the studio’s stars in check. George Clooney and Josh Brolin will star. Tatum, Tilda Swinton, and Ralph Fiennes are in negotiations, and Scarlett Johansson is in talks to join the film. [The Wrap] READ FULL STORY
• Dwayne Johnson (Fast & Furious 6) is in early talks to star in the Robert Ludlum adaptation The Janson Directive for Universal. The book, published after Ludlum’s death, follows an ex-Navy Seal who is forced on the run when a rescue mission goes bad. There is no writer or director attached at this early stage, but according to the report, it could be a potential franchise. [THR] READ FULL STORY
• Tina Fey is in early development on a “supernatural-themed feature” with Disney known as the Untitled Witch Project, but it is decidedly not a Hocus Pocus sequel (as was the rumor early Wednesday). According to the report, the project will be in the vein of Ghostbusters, and Fey will star and produce. Next up for Fey is the Jonathan Tropper adaptation This is Where I Leave You, out Sept. 19. She’s currently filming the comedy The Nest, alongside Amy Poehler. [Deadline]
• Pretty Little Liars star Ashley Benson has joined the cast of Pixels, a Sony comedy starring Adam Sandler, Josh Gad, and Peter Dinklage as a group of ’80s video game champions who President Kevin James calls on to save the day when aliens attack using strategies from those games. Benson will play a character named Lady Lisa, described as “a beautiful warrior from the fictional ’80s video game Dojo Quest.” [The Wrap] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Tom Hardy joins Leonardo DiCaprio in revenge thriller; Plus Kellan Lutz to play William Shatner, more
• After months of speculation, Mad Max: Fury Road star Tom Hardy has officially signed on for The Revenant alongside Leonardo DiCaprio. Based on the Michael Punke novel, Alejandro González Iñárritu (Babel) is directing a script he adapted with Mark L. Smith (The Hole) for a fall 2015 release. The 19th century-set film, which will also feature Will Poulter (We’re the Millers), follows the treacherous journey of a fur trapper seeking revenge against his betrayers. [The Hollywood Reporter] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Kumail Nanjiani, Natasha Lyonne board Michael Showalter comedy; Plus, Nick Offerman, more
• Silicon Valley‘s Kumail Nanjiani and Orange Is the New Black‘s Natasha Lyonne are set to join the ensemble cast of Michael Showalter‘s Hello, My Name is Doris. Kyle Mooney (Saturday Night Live) and Wendi McLendon-Covey (Bridesmaids) have also boarded the comedy, which stars Sally Field as a woman who, in the wake of her mother’s death, decides to pursue a co-worker (Max Greenfield) and discover the local hipster scene. [The Wrap] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Tom Hanks may be directed by Meg Ryan in WWII drama; Plus Kevin Bacon, Benjamin Bratt, more
• Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan may reunite on screen for the actress’ directorial debut Ithaca. Hanks would have a cameo role in the World War II coming-of-age drama based on William Saroyan’s novel The Human Comedy and already serves as an executive producer. Erik Jendresen (Killing Lincoln) adapted the script that will also feature Ryan onscreen, as well as the previously announced Sam Shepard (August: Osage County), Melanie Griffith (Working Girl), and Jack Quaid, Ryan’s son with actor Dennis Quaid. This would be the fourth time the pair has appeared on screen together after Joe Versus the Volcano, Sleepless in Seattle, and You’ve Got Mail. [Variety] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Ben Kingsley joins voice cast of Disney's 'The Jungle Book'; Plus, Rooney Mara, Jason Sudeikis, more
• Oscar winner Ben Kingsley will provide the voice of panther Bagheera in Disney’s upcoming film adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book. The movie, directed by Jon Favreau (Iron Man), will be a combination of live-action and animation with a script by Justin Marks. Kingsley joins previously announced stars Idris Elba (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom), Scarlett Johansson (Her), and Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years A Slave) as the voices of Shere Khan, Kaa, and Rakcha, respectively, for a scheduled Oct. 9, 2015, release. [THR] READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Utopia': Meet the cast of new reality series
- EWwy Awards 2014 winners are...
- 'Wahlburgers'...or glimpse at real-life 'Entourage'? First Look
- Lindsay Lohan selfie with Tina Fey teases EW's fall 'Mean Girls' reunion
- Angelina Jolie on 'Unbroken': Telling Louis Zamperini's story 'a giant responsibility'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' gets official book -- and series finale air date
- Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off': Why it's great/why it grates
- David Letterman's tribute to Robin Williams
- David Letterman airs Robin Williams tribute
- Angelina Jolie on 'Unbroken': This story is 'a giant responsibility'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' gets official book -- and series finale air date
- Love it or loathe it? EW debates Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off'
- Lindsay Lohan posts selfie with Tina Fey during EW's 'Mean Girls' reunion