• Garrett Hedlund, who starred in Tron: Legacy and has a small role in Inside Llewyn Davis, has been offered the role of Hook in Anna Karenina director Joe Wright’s Pan. The Warner Bros. project, penned by Jason Fuchs (Ice Age: Continental Drift), will have a new take on J.M. Barrie’s Peter Pan tale. In the origin story, Hook is (initially at least) Pan’s ally. According to the report, Hedlund beat out Jack Huston and Ezra Miller for the role. Hugh Jackman is still in contention for the part of Blackbeard. The film is already set for a June 26, 2015, release. [Deadline]
READ FULL STORY
Tag: Casting (31-40 of 897)
Bruce Dern has confirmed that he spoke with Quentin Tarantino about the possibility of appearing in the director’s next movie. “We had a conversation,” said Dern, who yesterday received a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his performance as delusional alcoholic Woody Grant in the film Nebraska. “I mean, he hasn’t hired me yet or anything. But we had a conversation about the material, yes we did.”
Casting Net: Harrison Ford joins Blake Lively in a romantic drama; Plus 'Age of Ultron' adds a villain, more
• Harrison Ford will star opposite Blake Lively (Gossip Girl) and Ellen Burstyn (Requiem for a Dream) in The Age of Adaline, about a 29-year-old woman at the turn of the 20th century who stops aging after a near fatal accident. She exists in mostly solitary conditions till she meets a man who she’d rather give up immortality for. How, or why this is possible in the context of the movie have yet to be explained. Lee Toland Krieger (Celeste & Jesse Forever) is directing. [THR]
Casting Net: Zoe Saldana and Sam Worthington back for 'Avatar' sequels; Plus, Michael Pena for 'Ant-Man', more
• Zoe Saldana and Sam Worthington have finalized deals to reprise their roles as Neytiri and Jake Sully in the three upcoming Avatar sequels for director James Cameron. News of their “expected” return was first reported in August. Stephen Lang is also returning as Marine Colonel Quaritch. The three follow ups will be shot back to back and are rolling out to theaters in December of 2016, 2017, and 2018. [THR]
READ FULL STORY
And now some big news about little guys …
Michael Douglas has joined Paul Rudd in the cast of Edgar Wright’s Ant-Man, and with the announcement Marvel Studios revealed a glimpse at the identity of the incredible shrinking hero.
Casting Net: John Goodman joins 'The Gambler'; Plus, Gerard Butler in talks for Swayze role in 'Point Break'
• John Goodman (Inside Llewyn Davis) has reportedly joined the cast of The Gambler. The veteran actor joins Mark Wahlberg, Brie Larson, and Jessica Lange in the Rupert Wyatt-directed remake of the 1974 James Caan pic that was loosely inspired by a Dostoyevsky novella. William Monahan, who won an Oscar for The Departed, wrote the script. According to the report, Goodman will play a loan shark in the film which likely won’t hit theaters till 2015. In addition to his role in the Coen brothers’ Inside Llewyn Davis, Goodman can be seen next in George Clooney’s The Monuments Men, out Feb. 7, 2014. [The Wrap]
• Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men) is reportedly interested in portraying Spanish explorer Hernando Cortés in Montezuma, a nearly 50-year old Dalton Trumbo (Spartacus) script that Oscar-winner Steve Zaillian (Schindler’s List) is updating. Steven Spielberg may have his sights on directing the project for DreamWorks, who currently owns the rights. Trumbo had apparently written the original script (one draft was 205 pages long!) for Kirk Douglas and director Martin Ritt. [Deadline]
Vin Diesel will indeed voice the part of Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy.
Marvel announced the news Saturday night, even though rumors have been circling his involvement since August. Diesel even posted an unsubtle cover photo on his facebook page of the monstrous tree months ago. But, nothing confirms it like a photo of the Fast & Furious star hugging a model of his on-screen avatar in front of a giant Guardians logo.
• Two-time Oscar winner Jessica Lange will join Mark Wahlberg and Brie Larson in Paramount’s remake of The Gambler. The American Horror Story star will play the wealthy mother of Wahlberg’s character, who is struggling with debt. The 64-year-old actress can be seen next in the thriller In Secret, with Oscar Isaac and Elizabeth Olsen (out Feb. 21). [Deadline]
Latest Videos in Movies
- 27 DreamWorks animated movies: We rank 'em
- 10 signs you're watching a Wes Anderson movie
- 'Vampire Diaries': A salute to Katherine
- 'Reign'-ing sound? TV tunes of the week
- Seth MacFarlane: Inside the new 'Cosmos' ship
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 5 ideas for Dr. Burke
- 8 TV stars who proved you can go home again
- 'Bachelor': Chris vs. Juan Pablo on Andi's exit
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles
- Dr. Burke returns to 'Grey's Anatomy': What will happen?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments -- VIDEO
- 27 DreamWorks Animated Movies: We Rank 'em!
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more