• Silicon Valley‘s Kumail Nanjiani and Orange Is the New Black‘s Natasha Lyonne are set to join the ensemble cast of Michael Showalter‘s Hello, My Name is Doris. Kyle Mooney (Saturday Night Live) and Wendi McLendon-Covey (Bridesmaids) have also boarded the comedy, which stars Sally Field as a woman who, in the wake of her mother’s death, decides to pursue a co-worker (Max Greenfield) and discover the local hipster scene. [The Wrap] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Casting (31-40 of 998)
The film adaptation of The 5th Wave is heating up!
In April, Sony Pictures announced it had cast Chloe Grace Moretz as the star of the thriller, which will be directed by J Blakeson (The Disappearance of Alice Creed) from a screenplay by Susannah Grant (Erin Brockovich). Now two other pivotal roles have been filled: Nick Robinson will be playing Ben Parish, a.k.a. “Zombie,” and Alex Roe will portray Evan Walker. READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Tom Hanks may be directed by Meg Ryan in WWII drama; Plus Kevin Bacon, Benjamin Bratt, more
• Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan may reunite on screen for the actress’ directorial debut Ithaca. Hanks would have a cameo role in the World War II coming-of-age drama based on William Saroyan’s novel The Human Comedy and already serves as an executive producer. Erik Jendresen (Killing Lincoln) adapted the script that will also feature Ryan onscreen, as well as the previously announced Sam Shepard (August: Osage County), Melanie Griffith (Working Girl), and Jack Quaid, Ryan’s son with actor Dennis Quaid. This would be the fourth time the pair has appeared on screen together after Joe Versus the Volcano, Sleepless in Seattle, and You’ve Got Mail. [Variety] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Ben Kingsley joins voice cast of Disney's 'The Jungle Book'; Plus, Rooney Mara, Jason Sudeikis, more
• Oscar winner Ben Kingsley will provide the voice of panther Bagheera in Disney’s upcoming film adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book. The movie, directed by Jon Favreau (Iron Man), will be a combination of live-action and animation with a script by Justin Marks. Kingsley joins previously announced stars Idris Elba (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom), Scarlett Johansson (Her), and Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years A Slave) as the voices of Shere Khan, Kaa, and Rakcha, respectively, for a scheduled Oct. 9, 2015, release. [THR] READ FULL STORY
• Peter Fonda is set to play Nicolas Cage‘s father in The Runner, a political drama about a New Orleans congressman whose career is in turmoil following a sex scandal and the 2010 BP oil spill. Connie Nielsen (Gladiator) has also boarded the project as Cage’s character’s wife, while The Wire‘s Wendell Piece will play his chief of staff. Indie producer Austin Stark (Infinitely Polar Bear) wrote and will direct the pic. [THR] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Jared Leto flirts with 'Brilliance'; Plus, Mamie Gummer may co-star with mom Meryl Streep, more
• Jared Leto, who won an Oscar for his work in Dallas Buyers Club, is in early talks to star in Brilliance for Legendary Pictures. According to Deadline, Leto met with director Julius Onah on Monday. Based on Marcus Sakey‘s novel, the film posits a world where a small number of the population are “brilliants,” which basically means they have extraordinary abilities. The film, adapted by David Koepp, focuses on a federal agent — also a brilliant — who must track down a fellow brilliant who wants to use his powers to start a war. Will Smith was previously attached to the role, but recently exited the project. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Emilia Clarke to headline indie psychological thriller; Plus Jason Momoa, Anna Kendrick, more
• Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke will play the lead in the psychological thriller Voice From the Stone, based on the Italian novel La Voce Della Pietra by Silvio Raffo. Eric D. Howell will make his feature directorial debut with the story adapted by Andrew Shaw set in 1950s Tuscany about a nurse (Clarke) who gets caught up in an evil force inside the castle where she is taking care of a young boy dealing with the trauma of his mother’s sudden death. Shooting is scheduled to begin in Italy in November. [The Hollywood Reporter] READ FULL STORY
• Maya Rudolph will reunite with her Saturday Night Live alums Tina Fey and Amy Poehler for Universal’s The Nest. She’ll play a childhood friend of Poehler and Fey’s characters, who are sisters who throw one last blowout in their parents’ up-for-sale house. Greta Lee (Girls) has also joined the cast. She’ll play a woman who gets a “pity invite” to the party. Paula Pell wrote the screenplay, and Jason Moore (Pitch Perfect) will direct. [THR; Deadline] READ FULL STORY
James Brolin is about to become a father, again.
EW has confirmed that Brolin was cast as Tina Fey and Amy Poehler’s father in Universal’s comedy The Nest. The film follows Fey and Poehler as two sisters who decide to throw one final party before the sale of their parents’ home. The Nest, which also stars The Mindy Project‘s Ike Barinholtz, is directed by Jason Moore based on an original script from SNL‘s Paula Pell.
Deadline first reported the news.
• Kristin Wiig is set to make her directorial debut on an untitled buddy comedy that she and her Bridesmaids co-scribe Annie Mumolo will write together. The story is about “best friends who find themselves in over their heads and out of their depths, which were, perhaps, not too deep to begin with.” Wiig will also star in the pic, which TriStar chairman Tom Rothman joked will be “a searing and depressing drama, which is what the world needs right now.” [New York Times] READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Survivor' scouting report: John Rocker's plan if he's recognized?
- Rembrandts are there for 'Friends' fans at N.Y. pop-up Central Perk
- Frankie's 'Big Brother' regret? 'Trusting Caleb. Period.'
- 'Sons of Anarchy'; 'New Girl'; 'Mindy Project'; 'Utopia'; 'Big Brother'; 'DWTS' recaps
- Fall TV 2014: EW critics pick 6 new series to watch
- C-3PO's 'Star Wars' past, present, and future: A deep-dive Q&A with Anthony Daniels
- Julianna Margulies and Jimmy Fallon sing the High School Announcement Hits
- 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre' outtakes unearthed for 40th anniversary collector's set
- No Blood On His Hands 550
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 551
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 484
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 416
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Frankie of 'Big Brother' says he does not regret pushing the Rewind button and wants to marry Zach
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Toil and Till'
- Tom Hiddleston to star in King-Kong spin-off, 'Skull Island'