• Stephan James (The L.A. Complex) is in talks to star as famed Olympian Jesse Owens in Race. He’d be replacing John Boyega in the role, who had to drop out due to his Star Wars: Episode VII commitments. Stephen Hopkins is directing the biopic, which will follow Owens from his humble beginnings to the 1936 Berlin Olympics where he won four gold medals. Not quite yet a household name, James has a number of higher profile projects coming up, including the football pic When the Game Stands Tall and Ava DuVernay’s civil rights drama Selma. [The Wrap]
Tag: Casting (51-60 of 998)
• Latin American music star Romeo Santos is the latest addition to the Fast & Furious 7 cast. Franchise star Vin Diesel announced the news on stage Thursday night at Santos’ sold-out Staples Center concert in L.A, but details on his role are unknown. Director James Wan recently resumed production on the pic, which is set for an April 10, 2015, release. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
As J.J. Abrams and company get underway shooting Star Wars: Episode VII, they’re still adding pieces to the cast. One of those pieces could be you.
In a very unusual move for the highly secretive film, a walk-on role for a member of the general public has been created and will be raffled off to benefit the charity UNICEF. READ FULL STORY
• Robert De Niro is set for Bus 757, a thriller about a card dealer aiming to rob a bank by taking a group of bus travelers hostage and using them as collateral. De Niro’s character is the owner of the casino in question. Scott Mann (The Tournament) will direct. His upcoming projects include the boxing drama Hands of Stone, staring Edgar Ramirez, and the cop thriller Candy Store, with Keira Knightley and Omar Sy. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
• Daniel Radcliffe is attached to star in You Shall Know Our Velocity, based on Dave Eggers‘ best-seller, which tells the story of a a pair of friends — one bookish and awkward and one who fancies himself a ladies man — who resolve to scatter their friend’s ashes among the pyramids. They also decide to give away the $32K insurance payout that they got after their friend was killed to anyone in need. Peter Sollett (Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist) is set to direct the pic, which is eyeing a spring 2015 shoot. Author Wells Tower adapted the script. [THR] READ FULL STORY
• Zero Dark Thirty star Edgar Ramirez is in talks to replace Gerard Butler in the Point Break reboot as Bodhi, originally played by Patrick Swayze in Kathryn Bigelow’s 1991 pic. “We consider Edgar one of the finest actors in the world today, and we are thrilled he will be creating a fresh new take on the iconic character of Bodhi,” Alcon principals Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson said in a statement. Luke Bracey will be playing undercover FBI agent Johnny Utah in the new take and Ericson Core is set to direct. [Variety] READ FULL STORY
Could we have another Barden Bella on our hands? Or perhaps another hilarious announcer?
Although we don’t know the details, we have confirmed that Sons of Anarchy‘s Katey Sagal has joined the cast of Pitch Perfect 2. Elizabeth Banks, who’s directing the sequel, sent out the tweet below announcing the casting news:
— Elizabeth Banks (@ElizabethBanks) May 14, 2014
Sagal joins a cast featuring returning members Rebel Wilson, Anna Kendrick, and Adam DeVine, along with newcomer Hailee Steinfeld, among others. Filming has already begun on the film, which will hit theaters on May 15, 2015.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'No Good Deed' No. 1 at weekend box office: $24.5M
- 'Big Brother'; 'Boardwalk Empire'; 'Masters of Sex'; 'RHONJ' recaps
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' debuts: Ready Teddy
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show': 21 new photos
- 'Utopia' ratings slide far from ideal for Fox
- 'Simpsons' Hollywood Bowl concert: 6 most memorable moments
- Mail's in! Talkback on 'Doctor Who,' 'Big Brother,' and U2
- Fall TV Preview: Dramas