• Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave) is in talks to star in the Derek Cianfrance-directed adaptation of M.L. Stedman‘s 2012 novel The Light Between Oceans. The story follows a lighthouse keeper and his wife, who discover an infant and a dead body in a rowboat and decide to raise the child as their own in post-World War I Australia. Fassbender can be seen next in X-Men: Days of Future Past (out May 23). [THR] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Casting (61-70 of 998)
• Noomi Rapace (Prometheus) is in talks to star opposite Will Smith in the sci-fi thriller Brilliance. The Marcus Sakey adaptation imagines a world where 1 percent of humans (the brilliants) are born with supernatural powers. Federal agent Nick Cooper (Smith) is a 1 percenter who specialized in hunting terrorists. He meets his match in a fellow brilliant intent on starting a civil war. Rapace will play yet another of these special beings who the government also determines is a terrorist. Julius Onah (The Girl Is in Trouble) is set to direct. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Charlize Theron in talks to star in, produce 'American Express'; Plus, Alec Baldwin, more
• Charlize Theron is reportedly in talks to star in and produce American Express, an indie for director Nash Edgerton. Plot details are being kept under wraps as the film is shopped at Cannes. Theron can be seen next in Seth MacFarlane‘s A Million Ways to Die in the West (May 30). [The Wrap] READ FULL STORY
• Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect) is attached to star in a re-imagining of the now-classic 1980 Goldie Hawn comedy Private Benjamin. In the original, scripted by Nancy Meyers, after Judy Benjamin’s husband dies on their wedding night, a recruiting agent tricks the prissy widower into enlisting in the U.S. Army. It’s obviously not what she expected. The new take finds a “redneck” (Wilson) and a city girl who enlist in the Marines as an escape from their lives. [Den of Geek; The Wrap] READ FULL STORY
When director Bill Condon asked Laura Linney to star in his new film A Slight Trick of the Mind — starring Ian McKellen as an aging Sherlock Holmes — he hadn’t a clue that he was tapping into Linney’s childhood fantasies.
Linney, 50, who will play Holmes’ housekeeper Mrs. Munro, is no casual devotee of Arthur Conan Doyle’s series of novels about the acerbic detective. Rather, she is a devoted, senior thesis-writing, sweatshirt-wearing Sherlock geek. READ FULL STORY
• Channing Tatum (Magic Mike) is attached to star in and produce an untitled ’70s-set crime thriller about a family man who must go undercover to take down a dangerous mob syndicate. Kristin Gore is penning the script, and Chicago/Academy Awards producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron will produce alongside Tatum and Reid Carolin for Sony. This summer Tatum can be seen in 22 Jump Street (June 13) and Jupiter Ascending (July 18). [THR]
Is Jim Halpert going to try and pull a Zach Braff?
John Krasinski has signed on to direct and star in The Hollars, EW has confirmed. “Krasinski also will star in the lead as John Hollar, an aspiring NYC artist who takes his girlfriend (Anna Kendrick) back to his Middle America hometown on the eve of his mother’s (Margo Martindale) brain surgery. There he’s forced to navigate the crazy life he left behind as his dysfunctional family, high school pals, his father (Richard Jenkins), and his over-eager ex flood back into his life ahead of the operation,” according to Deadline, which first reported the news.
This will be Krasinski’s second directorial outing; he also directed 2009’s Brief Interviews with Hideous Men.
• Anna Kendrick (Pitch Perfect) will play a woman looking for love in the Max Landis-scripted Mr. Right. She thinks she may have found the one till she discovers that he’s a hit man…but, you know, a reformed one. His past catches up with him and suddenly both of their lives are in jeopardy. Sam Rockwell (The Way Way Back) has also joined the cast, but it was unclear from the report whether he is her Mr. Right. Paco Cabezas (Tokarev) will direct the pic, which is scheduled for a fall shoot. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
• They sizzled in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and now Hollywood’s most famous couple may share the silver screen once more. Angelina Jolie is reportedly in early talks to star with Brad Pitt in a film that she wrote. According to Deadline, the film doesn’t have distribution yet. Very few details are currently available, but let’s take the opportunity to remember the time they did THIS. [Deadline]
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Toil and Till'
- Fall TV 2014: EW critics pick 6 new series to watch
- 'Mindy Project'; 'New Girl'; 'Big Brother'; 'Dancing With the Stars': Tuesday TV recaps
- Frankie's 'Big Brother' regret? 'Trusting Caleb. Period.'
- C-3PO's 'Star Wars' past, present, and future: A deep-dive Q&A with Anthony Daniels
- Fantastic Fest 2014: 22 wonderfully weird films in Austin
- 'Breaking Bad': 'Ozymandias' writer and director look back at milestone episode
- 'Revenge' season 4 trailer: 'Emily Thorne, I'm coming for you'
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 549
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 482
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- No Blood On His Hands 399
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 384
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Tom Hiddleston to star in King-Kong spin-off, 'Skull Island'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Toil and Till'
- 'Revenge' first look: Watch the trailer for season 4