• Gerard Butler is attached to star in the sci-fi adventure Geostorm. Longtime writer-producer Dean Devlin (Independence Day) is writing and directing the movie which posits a world where satellites can control the climate. When they begin to malfunction, Butler’s “charming satellite designer” has to work quickly to save the world from the imminent storm. [THR]
Tag: Casting (81-90 of 999)
• Chloë Grace Moretz (Carrie) is in final talks to star in The 5th Wave, based on Rick Yancey’s sci-fi YA novel. In the story, 16-year-old Cassie is one of the last humans on earth after four devastating waves of alien attacks, and she’s determined to get her baby brother back. J. Blakeson (The Disappearance of Alice Creed) is set to direct. According to the report, it’s another potential franchise for Sony. Moretz is also starring in the adaptation of YA sensation If I Stay which hits theaters on Aug. 22. [The Wrap]
• Brie Larson (Short Term 12) is set to star as Ma in the adaptation of Emma Donoghue‘s 2010 best-seller Room about a kidnapped woman living in captivity with her 5-year-old son. Donohue wrote the script for director Lenny Abrahamson (What Richard Did, Frank). Lisa Schwarzbaum gave the book an A- and wrote: “Though the story’s chilling circumstances reflect the horrors endured by tabloid-famous abductees, Donoghue avoids all sensationalism. Instead, she gracefully distills what it means to be a mother — and what it’s like for a child whose entire world measures just 11 x 11.” [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
• Amy Poehler, Tina Fey’s longtime friend, occasional co-star (Baby Mama, Mean Girls), one-time co-EW guest editor, and consistent Golden Globes co-host (and, you know, general star and force in her own right) is in final negotiations to join The Nest. She’d play Fey’s sister in the Paula Pell-scripted comedy that Pitch Perfect’s Jason Moore is set to direct. [The Wrap]
• The original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Noomi Rapace, will star as a CIA Agent in Unlocked. Mikael Hafstrom (Escape Plan) is set to direct the thriller, in which Rapace’s character gets tricked into supplying info to the wrong side and ends up at the center of a potentially devastating biological attack on London. Peter O’Brien‘s 2008 Black List script was recently let go from Warner Bros. (which picked it up in 2010) and is being produced as an indie. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
'Hunger Games' meets 'Game of Thrones': Gwendoline Christie replacing Lily Rabe in 'Mockingjay - Part 2'
Gwendoline Christie will be taking some of her warrior persona from Game of Thrones into the Hunger Games franchise with the news Friday that she will replace actress Lily Rabe as Commander Lyme in the final installment in the franchise: Mockingjay – Part 2.
American actress Rabe (American Horror Story) had to drop out of the lucrative series due to a previous commitment to perform Much Ado about Nothing opposite Hamish Linklater at Shakespeare in the Park this summer in New York. READ FULL STORY
• Amy Adams (American Hustle) is in early talks to star in Story of Your Life, a sci-fi thriller based on a Ted Chiang short story about a linguist who is hired to determine whether the aliens who have just landed on Earth are a threat. During her communication with the visitors, she beings to experience visions that help her determine why they are there. Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners) will direct off of a script from Eric Heisserer (Final Destination 5). [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
• Ben Stiller is in talks to star in I Am Chippendales, the true story of the fraught ascent of the male stripper revue, based on Rodney Sheldon’s book. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty star would play Nicolas de Noia, a former choreographer who helped usher the show into the mainstream. The story will focus on founder Steve Banerjee. Alan Ball, best known for his work as an executive producer on shows like True Blood, Banshee, and Six Feet Under, will direct. [Variety] READ FULL STORY
The latest move in Shia LeBeouf’s quest to stop being famous appears to be pulling out of the all-star comedy Rock the Kasbah.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the 27-year-old has amicably parted from the film, which is set to star Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Danny McBride, Zooey Deschanel, and Kate Hudson. Representatives for LaBeouf did not respond to EW’s requests for comment.
The Barry Levinson movie centers on an aging rock manager who travels to Afghanistan for a USO tour and winds up representing a young girl competing on a Middle Eastern version of American Idol. LaBeouf was to have a supporting role. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 20 most compelling actor/director teams now
- 'Big Brother' recap: Final three houseguests are...
- Sarah Paulson on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'something happens in the very first episode that's crazy'
- 'Red Band Society' debuts: First impressions?
- 'Top Chef Duels' recap: Nyesha Arrington vs. Jennifer Carroll
- Kunal Nayyar sings Boyz II Men on 'Queen Latifah Show': Sneak peek
- 'This Is Where I Leave You' review: Reunited and it feels so...schmaltzy
- 'Survivor' scouting report: John Rocker's plan if he's recognized?
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- '7th Heaven' cast, minus Ruthie, reunites
- 'The Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln says to fear the beard in season 5
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- Frankie of 'Big Brother' says he does not regret pushing the Rewind button and wants to marry Zach