• Denzel Washington, about to end a run on Broadway in A Raisin in the Sun, is in talks to star in a remake of the 1960 western The Magnificent Seven for MGM. Washington would once again work with Antoine Fuqua, who directed his Oscar-winning performance in Training Day and the upcoming film The Equalizer. Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt had previously been eyed for the project with drafts of the script written by Nic Pizzolatto (True Detective) and most recently John Lee Hancock (The Blind Side). [The Hollywood Reporter] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Christian Slater (1-3 of 3)
“Do you think there’s ever been another movie like Heathers?” Winona Ryder asks in her tiny, forever-a-kid voice, and then listens quietly. She’s genuinely curious. Your brain races through the obvious choices. Mean Girls, Clueless, Jawbreaker—teen-girl comedies with a drop of caustic in their lip gloss. But in 25 years, no high school movie has ever come close to the bloodthirsty wit and sweet-faced nihilism of Heathers, the 1989 satire about an Ohio high school where suicide becomes a scrunchie-level fad. “I looove this movie—to the point where I talk about it like I’m not even in it,” says Ryder. “If it’s on TV, I watch it. I’ve probably seen it 50 times. Like, I can do it by heart.”
She isn’t the only one who feels that way; fans have turned the box office flop (total gross: $1.1 million) into a cult hit on home video and TV—and even into a tongue-in-cheek musical, now playing Off Broadway. But long before that, a 24-year-old video-store clerk named Daniel Waters had a brilliantly ludicrous idea: “What if Stanley Kubrick made a teen film?” READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Ewan McGregor boarding 'August: Osage County.' Plus: Christian Slater joins Lars von Trier's 'Nymphomaniac'
• Christian Slater is boarding director Lars von Trier‘s lightning rod drama Nymphomaniac, as the father of a self-diagnosed sex addict played by Charlotte Gainsbourg (as an adult) and model Stacy Martin (in flashback). The film costars Stellan Skarsgard, Shia LaBeouf, Jamie Bell, and Connie Nielsen. [Variety]
• Awkward‘s Jillian Rose Reed will play the love interest in the indie romcom Confessions of a Womanizer, in which Reed’s character falls for the titular lothario. Muhammad Miguel Ali Hasan is making his feature directing debut from his script. [THR]
Casting Net: Nicolas Cage attached to vigilante thriller ‘I Am Wrath.’ Plus: Joan Allen boards Stephen King adaptation
Casting Net: Cynthia Nixon set to play poet Emily Dickinson. Plus: Sean Bean, Tom Wilkinson, Peter Facinelli
Casting Net: Nic Cage is ‘Joe’ and Heather Locklear gets ‘Scary.’ Plus: Alec Baldwin, Tom Felton, Juno Temple, more
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Empire Strikes Back' live-read photos, including Mark Hamill as the Emperor
- FBI officially ties North Korea to Sony hack
- 'Amazing Race' season finale recap: And the winners are...
- 'Amazing Race' behind-the-scenes pics from Phil Keoghan's season 25 collection
- 'Parenthood,' 'Parks and Rec,' Agent Carter,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Kevin Hart as Will Ferrell's prison-life coach in 'Get Hard' trailer
- 'Daredevil' First Look: New photos from Netflix series
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes -- exclusive
- Mark Hamill as The Emperor! Rainn Wilson is Chewbacca! Photos from the Live-Read of 'The Empire Strikes Back'
- 'The Amazing Race' season finale recap: 'All of Nothing'
- Michael Pitt exits 'Hannibal,' Joe Anderson to replace him
- Kevin Hart teaches Will Ferrell to survive prison in 'Get Hard' trailer