• Matt Damon may have laughed off speculation that he’d play Robin to Ben Affleck’s Batman, but he will be teaming up with The Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan for Interstellar. He’ll join the Iceland-based production of the secretive time travel epic starring Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, and Matthew McConaughey for two weeks out of the four month shoot. Damon’s “small role” is, naturally, being kept under wraps. The large ensemble cast also boasts Casey Affleck, David Oyelowo, Topher Grace, Michael Caine, John Lithgow, and Ellen Burstyn. This marks Damon’s first time working with Nolan. [IndieWire]
Tag: Christopher Nolan (21-30 of 81)
Christian Bale might be finished with the role of Batman, but fans can see him as Gotham’s protector once again when Warner Bros. releases The Dark Knight Trilogy: Ultimate Collector’s Edition on Blu-ray on Sept. 24. Not only will Bat-geeks get to re-watch the caped crusader’s epic battles against Scarecrow, Ra’s al-Gul, the Joker, Two-Face, and Bane, but the six-disc set will feature two new featurettes.
Click below for Warner Bros.’ descriptions of the bonus features:
READ FULL STORY
We already knew that Christian Bale probably wasn’t going to show up as Batman in the upcoming Justice League movie, the Avengers-style supergroup of DC heroes. First, Bale said that he wouldn’t do another Batman movie unless Christopher Nolan opted for a fourth Dark Knight chapter, which Nolan says isn’t happening. Then Man of Steel and Dark Knight screenwriter David S. Goyer confirmed that the Justice League’s Batman would be a rebooted character. So that pretty much closed the book.
Still, with news like this, sometimes you just have to hear it from the man himself.
READ FULL STORY
Epic music maestro Hans Zimmer is teaming up with Christopher Nolan yet again. The composer will write the score for Nolan’s Interstellar. Collider first reported the news.
Zimmer told Collider that he has actually already started doing some writing for the music of Interstellar, which doesn’t hit theaters until Nov. 7, 2014. Described as a “heroic interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding,” Interstellar is a time travel epic based on scientific theories developed by American physicist Kip Thorne, who will executive produce. Matthew McConaughey, Jessica Chastain, Anne Hathaway, and Michael Caine (of course) have been attached to star.
READ FULL STORY
It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s… another new trailer for Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, which combines this staticky message from General Zod with the darker tone, battle scenes, and shots of Henry Cavill’s Bearded Super-Fisherman we’ve seen in other spots. All of it, naturally, is set to Hans Zimmer’s pounding score. The fate of our planet rests on you watching this video:
Paramount will release five of its biggest upcoming tentpole movies — including Transformers 4 and Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar — on IMAX, continuing the studio’s partnership with the supersize-screened movie theater company. “We’re thrilled and honored to once again team up with our longtime partners Christopher Nolan and Michael Bay,” said Greg Foster, chairman and president of IMAX Entertainment, in a statement following an announcement at Cinema-Con. “We can’t wait to showcase their vision to IMAX fans around the world.”
Nolan and Bay have previously used the special IMAX cameras to capture crisper action sequences in 70 mm, notably in the last two Dark Knight films and the most recent Transformers film. The Dark Knight Rises featured about an hour of IMAX footage, and Nolan has become a huge advocate for the technology. “For me, it’s simply the best way to make a film, and why more people haven’t done it I could not tell you,” Nolan told Film Comment in November.
Was 2008 the year IMAX went mainstream?
Casting Net: Morgan Freeman in talks for another Christopher Nolan film; Plus, Michael Caine, Rachel McAdams, more
• Morgan Freeman is finding his way back to the world of Christopher Nolan. No, the Dark Knight director hasn’t signed Freeman onto his highly anticipated next original project. (Though Anne Hathaway might make the leap to sci-fi for that film, Interstellar.) Freeman is in final negotiations to star in the directorial debut of Wally Pfister, Nolan’s longtime cinematographer. Nolan is producing the film, called Transcendence. Plot details are being kept under wraps for the sci-fi film, but it’s been described as in the vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Inception. Already signed on are Johnny Depp, Kate Mara (127 Hours), Paul Bettany (A Beautiful Mind), and Rebecca Hall (The Town). Alcon Entertainment announced Freeman’s casting news via press release on Thursday. READ FULL STORY
When Man of Steel hits theaters on June 14, it won’t just mark the arrival of a new Superman — it will also lay the groundwork for the future slate of films based on DC Comics.
Jeff Robinov, president of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, spoke to EW for this week’s cover story on the Zack Snyder-directed, Christopher Nolan-produced movie, and allowed a peek over the wall of secrecy surrounding their DC Comics plans: “It’s setting the tone for what the movies are going to be like going forward. In that, it’s definitely a first step.”
Will Man of Steel include references to other DC heroes headed to the big screen, as Marvel did with its pre-Avengers series of flicks?
“I think you’ll see that, going forward, anything can live in this world,” he said. “[Nolan’s] Batman was deliberately and smartly positioned as a stand-alone. The world they lived in was very isolated without any knowledge of any other superheroes. What Zack and Chris have done with this film is allow you to really introduce other characters into the same world.”
Casting Net: Anne Hathaway may re-team with Christopher Nolan; Plus, Jim Carrey, 'Kung Fu Panda 3,' more
• Anne Hathaway has her Academy Award. The Hathahaters have moved on. She’s already lined up a Lynn Shelton indie. What’s her next move? A Christopher Nolan
blockbuster “interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding” of course! The Les Miserables actress is in final talks to reunite with her Dark Knight Rises director for his highly anticipated and annoyingly secretive film Interstellar, based on the theories of theoretical physicist (and time travel enthusiast) Kip Thorne. Matthew McConaughey has signed on to play the male lead in the film, which has already set a November 7, 2014 release date. Despite Hathaway’s diverse resume of musicals, rom-coms, rom-drams, teen flicks, and comics, she hasn’t tackled the sci-fi world yet, making the possibility even more exciting. [Deadline]
• Jim Carrey has decided to join the comedy Ricky Stanicky, after a reported year of negotiations. The title refers to the name of an invented scapegoat for a group of troublemaking friends. What started out as a teenage joke continues into adulthood, though, until their significant others insist on meeting him. Instead of coming clean, they hire someone to be Stanicky. Carrey’s Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls director Steve Oedekerk will helm the Summit Entertainment feature. According to the report, James Franco was originally attached to star, and Joaquin Phoenix was in consideration as well. [THR]
The newest TV spot for Man of Steel doesn’t feature too much new footage, but it further develops the bleak-messiah tone seen in earlier trailers. Angelic music, introspective narration, Kevin Costner as the voice of American everydad, and almost no colors besides Superman’s red cape? Message received: This ain’t Superman IV: Quest 4 Peace. Watch below. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Empire Strikes Back' live-read photos, including Mark Hamill as the Emperor
- Madonna releases six tracks from 2015 'Rebel Heart' album
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes
- 'Hannibal': Michael Pitt out, Joe Anderson in
- 'Amazing Race' season finale recap: And the winners are...
- Hallmark's holiday TV movies: Inside the concepts, casting, and scheduling
- Kevin Hart as Will Ferrell's prison-life coach in 'Get Hard' trailer
- Jeff Probst on the secret 'Survivor' ending you didn't see
- Michael Pitt exits 'Hannibal,' Joe Anderson to replace him
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes -- exclusive
- Mark Hamill as The Emperor! Rainn Wilson is Chewbacca! Photos from the Live-Read of 'The Empire Strikes Back'
- Kevin Hart teaches Will Ferrell to survive prison in 'Get Hard' trailer
- Jeff Probst reveals the secret 'Survivor' ending you didn't see...and it's the best thing ever