If you’re missing Cousin Matthew or Downton Abbey in general, you’re in luck: Dan Stevens is going back to pre-war England for the romance Summer in February. Tribeca Films plans to release the film on VOD on Jan. 7, just two days after a Matthew-less Downton premieres in the states.
Tag: Dan Stevens (1-7 of 7)
• Sports Illustrated cover model Kate Upton is reportedly being eyed for a lead role in the Entourage movie. Adrian Grenier, Jeremy Piven, Kevin Connolly, Jerry Ferrara, and Kevin Dillon are all set to reprise the roles they originated in the HBO series. Although the 21-year-old Upton is best known for her modeling work, she has appeared in a few films, including Tower Heist and The Three Stooges. Upton recently wrapped the adultery comedy The Other Woman (out April 25, 2014) with Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann. [The Wrap]
READ FULL STORY
• Idris Elba (Thor: The Dark World) has signed on to star in the thriller Bastille Day, which finds a young artist and a former CIA agent teaming up on an anti-terrorist mission in France. Baran bo Odar (The Silence) is set to direct. Andrew Baldwin (The Outsider) penned the script. Elba can be seen next as Nelson Mandela in the biopic Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (out Dec. 18). [Variety]
Casting Net: Tim Burton adds Krysten Ritter to 'Big Eyes'; Plus, 'Downton Abbey's' Dan Stevens, more
• Don’t Trust the B in Apt. 23 may be over, but lead actress and television veteran Krysten Ritter isn’t letting that get in the way of her career. She’s been cast in Tim Burton’s Big Eyes alongside Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz to play Margaret Keane’s (Adams) supportive friend. Ritter is currently filming the comedy Search Party with Alison Brie and Adam Pally. [Deadline]
No, Summer in February isn’t a lighthearted beach party movie set on the Australian coast — it’s a romantic drama set in England before the first world war, a time and place that star Dan Stevens knows all too well.
The story, adapted by Jonathan Smith from his eponymous novel, centers on the real-life love triangle between young Alfred Munnings (Dominic Cooper) — an equine painter who would eventually find fame and knighthood — his friend Captain Gilbert Evans (Stevens), and his fellow artist Florence Carter-Wood (Emily Browning). Even though the film technically has nothing to do with Downton Abbey, the two seem to have plenty of similarities — expect lots of smoldering, longing looks, gorgeous costumes, and a tragic ending that may as well have been scripted by Julian Fellowes himself. (Are we absolutely certain he didn’t time travel here from 1914?)
Downton Abbey‘s loss may be the film industry’s gain. EW has confirmed that ex-Matthew Crawley Dan Stevens is in negotiations to star in Swallows and Amazons, producer Nick Barton’s upcoming adaptation of Arthur Ransome’s children’s book. Another film based on the novel was released in 1974.
The story, first published in 1930, follows a group of six children — the four Walkers, John, Susan, Titty, and Roger, and the two Blacketts, Nancy and Peggy — who meet one summer and unite against a common enemy: the Blacketts’ uncle James Turner, a withdrawn writer whom the children dub Captain Flint (after the pirate immortalized in Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island). Stevens is in talks to play Turner.
The former Downton heir can next be seen in Scott Frank’s A Walk Among the Tombstones and Bill Condon’s WikiLeaks movie The Fifth Estate, both currently in production.
Casting Net: Benedict Cumberbatch teams up with Guillermo del Toro; Plus, Omar Sy, Jacki Weaver, more
Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio developing Gorbachev pic with HBO Films
Isn’t it too soon for Lady Mary to have a new love interest on ‘Downton Abbey’?
• Albert Brooks is set to reprise his role as the cranky but loving father Marlin in Finding Nemo 2. Even though Andrew Stanton had already signed on to direct and Ellen DeGeneres had agreed to return, Brooks was reportedly a hold out for the sequel. Still, we’re excited that he’s officially joined the cast. It wouldn’t be the same without his voice. Now Brooks just needs to write and direct another film of his own. [Deadline]
• Nicolas Cage will star in Paco Cabezas’ (Neon Flesh) thriller Tokarev. The film will tell the story of former crook Paul Maguire (Cage) who must revert to his old ways when he discovers that the Russian mob has kidnapped his daughter. Cage can be seen next in the animated DreamWorks film The Croods, a prehistoric road trip comedy where he voices Emma Stone’s caveman father. [Deadline]
• Downton Abbey’s Dan Stevens is currently in talks to join Liam Neeson in the noir crime thriller A Walk Among the Tombstones. Between this and the WikiLeaks film The Fifth Estate with Benedict Cumberbatch, Stevens seems eager to leave the period pieces behind, though we’ll certainly miss Cousin Matthew. [Variety]
Casting Net: Jennifer Aniston joins Peter Bogdanovich film; Plus Sandra Bullock, Saoirse Ronan, and Nicholas Hoult
Casting Net: Joel McHale’s ‘Friggin’ Christmas Miracle’; Plus Peter Dinklage, Kathy Bates, and more
Casting Net: Kristen Stewart to play a muse; Plus Ellen Page’s directorial debut, Michael Shannon, Nicholas Hoult, and more
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Mentalist' being shopped to networks other than CBS
- Bryan Singer statement on abuse claims
- 'Parks and Rec': 9 hints about season finale
- Katy Perry's 'Birthday': Master of disguise?
- 'Parks and Rec' finale: Watch the opening scene
- 'Agents of SHIELD': 'Nothing Personal' poster art
- 'Salem': Marilyn Manson haunts new opening credits
- Best summer blockbusters: 'Dark Knight' at No. 4
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 674
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 523
- The Spy Who Shacked Me 432
- Slaves to Love 506
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 386
- 'How I Met Your Mother' spin-off casts Meg Ryan
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE
- 'Survivor' recap: The Spy Who Shacked Me
- A serious attempt to explain Avril Lavigne's 'Hello Kitty' music video
- 'Arrow' post mortem: Boss opens up about the shocking [spoiler]!