Even just watching motion-capture maestro Andy Serkis talk about playing empathetic ape Caesar is fairly mesmerizing. Serkis joined his Dawn of the Planet Apes director Matt Reeves and costars Jason Clarke and Keri Russell at EW’s Comic-Con studio to discuss the plot of the film, which picks up 10 years after 2011′s surprise summer hit Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Following a viral apocalypse, Caesar has built a kingdom of 2,000 apes in the woods. When they learn some humans remain (including Clarke’s and Russell’s characters), it’s a matter of survival for both groups. Watch the interview below. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (1-5 of 5)
'X-Men,' 'Wolverine,' 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' previewed as the Fox panel gets swarmed by famous mutants
The Projects: If the time-travel mechanics of the upcoming Bryan Singer-directed double-casted X-Men: Days of Future Past don’t mess with your sense of continuity, feast your brain on this: Two of the three movies presented at Fox’s Comic-Con panel today were sequels to prequels, while the third is a spin-off sequel featuring one of the main characters of one of those prequel-sequels. Whoa. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, the follow-up to 2011′s surprise summer hit Rise of the Planet of the Apes that will bridge the narrative gap between that film and 1968′s classic Planet of the Apes, was the first to screen footage, followed by The Wolverine, the Japan-set Hugh Jackman solo adventure hitting theaters this coming Friday, and it was all capped off by a huge parade of famous mutants for the X-Men panel. READ FULL STORY
• Yesterday we reported the initial casting for Alejandro González Iñárritu’s Birdman, but one of the key parts was left out of the announcement: Who would be the foil to Michael Keaton’s character’s comeback. Wednesday it was announced that Edward Norton would take on the role of the egotistical theater actor, which sounds like another inspired casting choice. We’re also kind of excited to see the failed Bruce Banner go head to head with one of history’s most beloved Bruce Waynes. Norton just wrapped The Grand Budapest Hotel, Wes Anderson’s follow-up to Moonrise Kingdom. [Deadline]
• Liam Neeson is in talks to join Seth MacFarlane’s sophomore film, A Million Ways to Die in the West. Amanda Seyfried and Charlize Theron are already set to star in the film as MacFarlane’s ex-girlfriend and an outlaw’s wife, respectively. If the deal goes through, Neeson would play Theron’s outlaw husband. [THR]
• Emma Watson might get the princess treatment in Kenneth Branagh’s live action adaptation of Cinderella for Disney. Cate Blanchett has already been cast as the wicked stepmother. Watson is only in early talks at this point, so although it seems like the shoe fits, it might be best not to get too attached to the idea of her as Cinderella. [Variety]
• Gary Oldman has signed on to join the cast of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, to play Dreyfus – the leader of the resistance efforts. EW previously reported Jason Clarke‘s (Zero Dark Thirty) casting and the news that Andy Serkis will reprise his role as Caesar, the leader of the apes. Oldman is also currently working on the RoboCop remake and Paranoia. [Deadline]
If you think a single giant marauding alien monster or a child vampire are scary, what about an army of intelligent primates?
EW has confirmed that Cloverfield and Let Me In director Matt Reeves is finalizing a deal to direct Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, the sequel to 2011′s Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which itself was a prequel-reboot of the original Planet of the Apes films from the 1960s and 70s. Reeves replaces Rise director Rupert Wyatt, who reportedly left the project due to concerns about Fox’s announced release date of May 23, 2014.
Andy Serkis will reprise his performance-capture role as lead intelli-ape Caesar. No word yet whether costars James Franco and Freida Pinto will also be returning.
Deadline first reported the story.
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'A Mother's Work'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' shocker: Maggie Siff says...
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Burning Q's answered
- 'Victoria's Secret Fashion Show': Sizing it up
- 'The Voice' recap: Your Top 3 are...
- 'Voice': How about a Judges' Veto?
- Jimmy Smits on Nero's choices in 'Anarchy' finale
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Theo Rossi on Juice's drama