If you thought Alec Baldwin was cantankerous, even he pales compared to the veteran Broadway and TV star Elaine Stritch. In Chiemi Karasawa’s new documentary Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me, opening in limited release this Friday, the 89-year-old actress (and Today show F-bomb-dropper) recounts her turbulent life on the stage and screen, her battles with alcoholism, and her improbable comeback in the last decade. In this exclusive clip, we see Stritch on the set of 30 Rock, where she played the wasp-tongued mother of Alec Baldwin’s network exec Jack Donaghy (a role that earned the actress her third Emmy Award in 2008). On set, she mixes it up with Tina Fey and Baldwin, a kindred spirit who hilariously grumbles about the veteran scene-stealer in rehearsal. “Don’t you last-word me, you,” he says. “It’s my laugh-line, you bitch.” And her reaction to his grousing is just as priceless. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Elaine Stritch (1-2 of 2)
For years in her one-woman show, Elaine Stritch sang Stephen Sondheim’s “I’m Still Here” from Follies. It became her signature number, a defiant anthem for a woman — “a lean, glaring lion of a woman,” The New York Times once wrote — who’s done it all, seen it all, and has absolutely no intention of going quietly.
Now 88 years old, the Tony-winner and three-time Emmy winner has finally slowed down a tad. (She “retired” last spring from her regular one-woman show at Manhattan’s Carlyle Hotel and moved back to Michigan, where she grew up.) But Chiemi Karasawa‘s documentary, Shoot Me, which premiered at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival, captured the dame’s last year or so in the Big Apple. It’s extremely poignant and fun; you see Stritch from all angles, revealing that there’s not an inauthentic bone in her body.
Stritch has been promoting the film at festivals across the country, most recently in Chicago, and Sundance Selects plans to release the doc in theaters Feb. 21. Entertainment Weekly has the exclusive poster for the film (above), and you can click below for the trailer:
READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- Emmys 2014: Who will win...and who should
- 'Mythbusters' minus three: Tory Belleci, Kari Byron, Grant Imahara tweet goodbyes
- 'Falling Skies' pair sum up four seasons in 30 seconds
- Jim Parsons talks 'Big Bang' bucks and Emmy excitement
- 'St. Vincent' director's long road to Bill Murray: 'Can you meet me at LAX in an hour?'
- 'Parks and Rec' gag reel: Don't miss your chance to see Ron Swanson dance
- 'Big Brother'; 'Project Runway': TV recaps
- 13 tell-tale signs it's from Frank Miller
- 'Dating Naked' cast member sues after VH1 showed her naked
- 'Spider-Woman #1' has a special variant cover that is causing some controversy for some reason
- 'Mythbusters' reveal Comic-Con costume, show how to make Indiana Jones' bullwhip
- 'Dating Naked' trailer: And you thought Tinder was brutal (NSFW)
- Former child star Jonathan Lipnicki is all grown up in 'You Used To Be Cute'