If you thought Alec Baldwin was cantankerous, even he pales compared to the veteran Broadway and TV star Elaine Stritch. In Chiemi Karasawa’s new documentary Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me, opening in limited release this Friday, the 89-year-old actress (and Today show F-bomb-dropper) recounts her turbulent life on the stage and screen, her battles with alcoholism, and her improbable comeback in the last decade. In this exclusive clip, we see Stritch on the set of 30 Rock, where she played the wasp-tongued mother of Alec Baldwin’s network exec Jack Donaghy (a role that earned the actress her third Emmy Award in 2008). On set, she mixes it up with Tina Fey and Baldwin, a kindred spirit who hilariously grumbles about the veteran scene-stealer in rehearsal. “Don’t you last-word me, you,” he says. “It’s my laugh-line, you bitch.” And her reaction to his grousing is just as priceless. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Elaine Stritch (1-2 of 2)
For years in her one-woman show, Elaine Stritch sang Stephen Sondheim’s “I’m Still Here” from Follies. It became her signature number, a defiant anthem for a woman — “a lean, glaring lion of a woman,” The New York Times once wrote — who’s done it all, seen it all, and has absolutely no intention of going quietly.
Now 88 years old, the Tony-winner and three-time Emmy winner has finally slowed down a tad. (She “retired” last spring from her regular one-woman show at Manhattan’s Carlyle Hotel and moved back to Michigan, where she grew up.) But Chiemi Karasawa‘s documentary, Shoot Me, which premiered at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival, captured the dame’s last year or so in the Big Apple. It’s extremely poignant and fun; you see Stritch from all angles, revealing that there’s not an inauthentic bone in her body.
Stritch has been promoting the film at festivals across the country, most recently in Chicago, and Sundance Selects plans to release the doc in theaters Feb. 21. Entertainment Weekly has the exclusive poster for the film (above), and you can click below for the trailer:
READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Bachelorette' recap: STAHP in the name of love
- 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover: Watch 5 minutes
- 'Goldfinch' movie rights go to...
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits: Day 3
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay': First teaser trailer
- 'Leftovers': The last straw
- Comic-Con 2014: All the stars at the EW Hideout
- 'Game of Thrones': Epic season 4 blooper reel
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 565
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 292
- The house (un)divided 321
- Video: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' trailer unlocks the key 288
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 269
- See 5 minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode
- 'The Bachelorette' season finale: And the 'winner' is...
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut
- Warner Bros. and RatPac team up for 'The Goldfinch'
- 'Mockingjay' teaser trailer reveals Natalie Dormer, Julianne Moore's characters