Holdover tent-poles Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Guardians of the Galaxy maintained the top spots at the weekend box office, while the new openers trailed behind. But, while it was expected that Let’s Be Cops and The Giver would open in the teens, the biggest surprise of the weekend was The Expendables 3, a franchise pic which should have easily opened in the $20 to $25 million range, but instead floundered with an estimated $16.2 million.
Tag: Expendables 3 (1-3 of 3)
The Expendables might have an army of action stars, but the third installment in the testosterone-fueled franchise is looking a little weak, opening behind both Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Guardians of the Galaxy on Friday.
Expendables 3 (Cinema Score: A-) took in an estimated $5.88 million Friday from 3,221 North American locations. A franchise low (Expendables 2 took in $10.5 million on its first Friday, and Expendables earned $13.3 million in 2010), it looks like Sylvester Stallone and his buddies might even miss the modest $20 million goal for the weekend. These early numbers could indicate that the online leak might have impacted the theatrical earnings more than initially expected.
In what just as easily could have been a box office showdown from 1990, Sylvester Stallone and his buddies face off against the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at theaters this weekend. And even though The Expendables 3 boasts a star-studded action hero cast of a just-bygone era, the Turtles might still win out.
The long-gestating adaptation of The Giver opens wide as well, playing alongside the buddy comedy Let’s Be Cops, which hit theaters on Wednesday. Indie darling Boyhood expands to just under 800 theaters, too.
Here’s how things might play out on this late summer weekend.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Empire Strikes Back' live-read photos, including Mark Hamill as the Emperor
- Madonna releases six tracks from 2015 'Rebel Heart' album
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes
- 'Hannibal': Michael Pitt out, Joe Anderson in
- 'Amazing Race' season finale recap: And the winners are...
- Hallmark's holiday TV movies: Inside the concepts, casting, and scheduling
- Kevin Hart as Will Ferrell's prison-life coach in 'Get Hard' trailer
- Jeff Probst on the secret 'Survivor' ending you didn't see
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes -- exclusive
- Michael Pitt exits 'Hannibal,' Joe Anderson to replace him
- Mark Hamill as The Emperor! Rainn Wilson is Chewbacca! Photos from the Live-Read of 'The Empire Strikes Back'
- Kevin Hart teaches Will Ferrell to survive prison in 'Get Hard' trailer
- Jeff Probst reveals the secret 'Survivor' ending you didn't see...and it's the best thing ever