Holdover tent-poles Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Guardians of the Galaxy maintained the top spots at the weekend box office, while the new openers trailed behind. But, while it was expected that Let’s Be Cops and The Giver would open in the teens, the biggest surprise of the weekend was The Expendables 3, a franchise pic which should have easily opened in the $20 to $25 million range, but instead floundered with an estimated $16.2 million.
Tag: Expendables 3 (1-3 of 3)
The Expendables might have an army of action stars, but the third installment in the testosterone-fueled franchise is looking a little weak, opening behind both Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Guardians of the Galaxy on Friday.
Expendables 3 (Cinema Score: A-) took in an estimated $5.88 million Friday from 3,221 North American locations. A franchise low (Expendables 2 took in $10.5 million on its first Friday, and Expendables earned $13.3 million in 2010), it looks like Sylvester Stallone and his buddies might even miss the modest $20 million goal for the weekend. These early numbers could indicate that the online leak might have impacted the theatrical earnings more than initially expected.
In what just as easily could have been a box office showdown from 1990, Sylvester Stallone and his buddies face off against the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at theaters this weekend. And even though The Expendables 3 boasts a star-studded action hero cast of a just-bygone era, the Turtles might still win out.
The long-gestating adaptation of The Giver opens wide as well, playing alongside the buddy comedy Let’s Be Cops, which hit theaters on Wednesday. Indie darling Boyhood expands to just under 800 theaters, too.
Here’s how things might play out on this late summer weekend.
Latest Videos in Movies
- Caleb talks 'Big Brother': I'd have taken Derrick to final and 'I would have won'
- 'Key and Peele' see alien invaders' true colors in season 4 sneak peek
- Oscar buzz: Sizing up the contenders after Toronto
- 'Gotham' up, 'Selfie' down? Insiders predict fall TV rookie prospects
- Ernie Hudson tells us 'Ghostbusters' stories at key NYC locations
- 'Grey's' is the new 'Orange': Ellen Pompeo and Co. share fun photo
- Danai Gurira talks 'Walking Dead': 'The Michonne wig transforms me'
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani rise to Jimmy Fallon's lip sync challenge