Universal officially announced last week that Paul Walker’s brothers Caleb and Cody would be joining the production of next year’s Fast & Furious 7, helping the production complete their brother’s role in the franchise. Walker’s longtime co-star Vin Diesel just posted an image of himself alongside Walker’s brothers, confirming the family resemblance. (One of the Walker Bros. is even wearing a perfect Brian O’Conner slightly-too-large gray T-shirt.) READ FULL STORY
Tag: Fast & Furious 7 (1-8 of 8)
Fast & Furious 7 took a long production break in the wake of star Paul Walker’s death. Rumors circulated about possible directions the film could take in completing the story arc of Brian O’Conner, since the actor had not completed work on the movie. Now the film has restarted, and on the franchise’s official Facebook page, Universal has posted a message casting some light on how they plan to finish the film. READ FULL STORY
EW has confirmed that Fast & Furious 7 will restart filming in April. The sequel’s production was put on hold in the wake of the death of lead actor Paul Walker, giving the filmmakers time to figure out how to proceed, since the film was only half-finished at the time of Walker’s passing. Previous reports have indicated that the film will “retire” Walker’s character without killing him off. Originally scheduled for release this summer, Fast & Furious 7 is now shooting for an April 2015 release date.
The making of Fast & Furious 7 was happening on an accelerated pace to meet next summer’s July 11 release date, but now the movie has come to a complete stop.
The unexpected and tragic car-crash death of Paul Walker has led Universal Pictures to put a hold on the movie in mid-production. Donna Langley, chairman of universal Pictures, told EW this week, “We have half a movie shot and we are working through it.”
The studio has now decided to call a halt.
“Right now, all of us at Universal are dedicated to providing support to Paul’s immediate family and our extended Fast & Furious family of cast, crew and filmmakers,” a studio rep announced today in a statement. “At this time we feel it is our responsibility to shut down production on Fast & Furious 7 for a period of time so we can assess all options available to move forward with the franchise.”
The untimely death of actor Paul Walker this weekend raises numerous questions about the future of the massively popular franchise that made him a star. Production on the seventh installment of Universal’s Fast & Furious films will likely be delayed, and it’s unclear what adjustments will need to be made in the story or how many of Walker’s scenes were left to shoot.
The Hollywood Reporter and Variety reported this weekend that Universal execs met with director James Wan to discuss any necessary rewrites and how to continue production on the film following Walker’s tragic death. The cast was scheduled to continue shooting early this week in Atlanta, but THR reports the crew will likely not be back to work on the film at least until mid-week.
Casting Net: Djimon Hounsou boards 'Fast & Furious 7'; Plus 'Downton Abbey' actress heads to 'Frankenstein', more
• Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond) has joined the cast of Fast & Furious 7 in an unknown role. Other newcomers to the franchise include Kurt Russell and Ronda Rousey, who will be joined by Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and Jason Statham – all returning for Insidious director James Wan’s Fast & Furious debut. In addition to roles in Seventh Son and the upcoming rom com Baggage Claim, Hounsou is also playing Korath the Pursuer in Guardians of the Galaxy. [Variety]
• We might still be lamenting the fact that Tom Hiddleston will not be appearing in The Avengers: Age of Ultron as the tormented Loki, but at least it frees him up to work with some other actors. Hiddleston has signed on to replace his War Horse co-star Benedict Cumberbatch in Guillermo del Toro’s thriller Crimson Peak, alongside Jessica Chastain, Mia Wasikowska, and Charlie Hunnam. [THR]
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Arrow' shocker: Talk about 'Seeing Red'
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- 'John From Cincinnati': Why not ready for Prime time?
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- TV clip shows: 5 all-time standouts
- 'Mean Girls' star comes out in letter to his character
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- 'Orange Is the New Black' is on the new EW cover
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 651
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 494
- Slaves to Love 464
- The Man Who Could Not Stand Still 508
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show'
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE