EW has confirmed that Fast & Furious 7 will restart filming in April. The sequel’s production was put on hold in the wake of the death of lead actor Paul Walker, giving the filmmakers time to figure out how to proceed, since the film was only half-finished at the time of Walker’s passing. Previous reports have indicated that the film will “retire” Walker’s character without killing him off. Originally scheduled for release this summer, Fast & Furious 7 is now shooting for an April 2015 release date.
Tag: Fast & Furious 7 (1-6 of 6)
The making of Fast & Furious 7 was happening on an accelerated pace to meet next summer’s July 11 release date, but now the movie has come to a complete stop.
The unexpected and tragic car-crash death of Paul Walker has led Universal Pictures to put a hold on the movie in mid-production. Donna Langley, chairman of universal Pictures, told EW this week, “We have half a movie shot and we are working through it.”
The studio has now decided to call a halt.
“Right now, all of us at Universal are dedicated to providing support to Paul’s immediate family and our extended Fast & Furious family of cast, crew and filmmakers,” a studio rep announced today in a statement. “At this time we feel it is our responsibility to shut down production on Fast & Furious 7 for a period of time so we can assess all options available to move forward with the franchise.”
The untimely death of actor Paul Walker this weekend raises numerous questions about the future of the massively popular franchise that made him a star. Production on the seventh installment of Universal’s Fast & Furious films will likely be delayed, and it’s unclear what adjustments will need to be made in the story or how many of Walker’s scenes were left to shoot.
The Hollywood Reporter and Variety reported this weekend that Universal execs met with director James Wan to discuss any necessary rewrites and how to continue production on the film following Walker’s tragic death. The cast was scheduled to continue shooting early this week in Atlanta, but THR reports the crew will likely not be back to work on the film at least until mid-week.
Casting Net: Djimon Hounsou boards 'Fast & Furious 7'; Plus 'Downton Abbey' actress heads to 'Frankenstein', more
• Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond) has joined the cast of Fast & Furious 7 in an unknown role. Other newcomers to the franchise include Kurt Russell and Ronda Rousey, who will be joined by Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and Jason Statham – all returning for Insidious director James Wan’s Fast & Furious debut. In addition to roles in Seventh Son and the upcoming rom com Baggage Claim, Hounsou is also playing Korath the Pursuer in Guardians of the Galaxy. [Variety]
• We might still be lamenting the fact that Tom Hiddleston will not be appearing in The Avengers: Age of Ultron as the tormented Loki, but at least it frees him up to work with some other actors. Hiddleston has signed on to replace his War Horse co-star Benedict Cumberbatch in Guillermo del Toro’s thriller Crimson Peak, alongside Jessica Chastain, Mia Wasikowska, and Charlie Hunnam. [THR]
Latest Videos in Movies
- Jon Favreau's 'Chef': Tasty starter for SXSW
- 27 DreamWorks animated movies: We rank 'em
- 10 signs you're watching a Wes Anderson movie
- 'Vampire Diaries': A salute to Katherine
- 'Reign': What did 'uncensored' sex scenes add?
- 'Need for Speed' cast's abused cars
- Seth MacFarlane: Inside the new 'Cosmos' ship
- 'Reign'-ing sound? TV tunes of the week
- 'Reign': Are the uncensored sex scenes all that different?
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles
- Dr. Burke returns to 'Grey's Anatomy': What will happen?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments -- VIDEO
- 27 DreamWorks Animated Movies: We Rank 'em!