In the black comedy Cheap Thrills, a rich couple played by David Koechner and Sara Paxton challenge a far more down-at-heel pair of acquaintances (Ethan Embry and Pat Healy) to perform ever more outlandish tasks for increasing sums of money. Directed by horror movie scripter-turned-first-time filmmaker E.L. Katz, the result was released earlier this year and is one of the more confident debuts this writer has seen in quite some time.
Tag: Film (41-50 of 1008)
Thanks to the excellent documentary Jodorowsky’s Dune, director Alejandro Jodorowsky has become well known over the past year for a film he did not make (that would be his abortive attempt to adapt Frank Herbert’s classic sci-fi novel Dune). Now it’s time to turn our attention to a movie he has actually succeeded in bringing to the screen.
ORIGINAL POST: As kryptonite is to Superman, so a kegger is to Spider-Man. That seems to be the lesson of this weekend’s box office, anyway.
Seth Rogen and Zac Efron’s new frat comedy Neighbors drank in an estimated $19.6 million at the box office on Friday, almost twice as much as the $10.1m which was caught in the web of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Sony is projecting its superhero sequel will gross $37 million for the weekend, which would give it a cumulative domestic take of $147m by the end of Sunday.
You know those trailers that reveal so much about a film it almost seems like you don’t have to watch the actual movie? Well, the clip for the sci-fi drama Coherence ain’t one of those. In fact, despite having watched the trailer several times, we really can’t tell you much at all about the plot of this film from writer-director James Ward Byrkit.
What we can tell you is that it hits select cinemas on June 20, stars Buffy actor Nicholas Brendon among others and — per the movie’s official website – concerns eight friends at a dinner party who experience a chain of reality-bending events on the night of an astronomical anomaly. READ FULL STORY
“Sometime in the future a group of high school-age kids are transported to a distant location, each of them with one weapon, where they must engage in a battle to the death with each other.” READ FULL STORY
“Nobody shoots a car the way Aussies do.” So says Quentin Tarantino in the must-see 2008 Ozploitation documentary Not Quite Hollywood. And QT’s words are reconfirmed by director Greg McLean’s new film Wolf Creek 2 — the sequel to his 2005 tale of terrible-things-happening-in-the-Australian-outback — which owes as much to the likes of The Road Warrior (and Steven Spielberg’s classic auto-thriller Duel) as it does the torture porn genre.
“I’m not known for my gun-play,” says Brady Bunch star Eve Plumb.
No kidding. So how did the actress who played Jan Brady on the classic sitcom wind up portraying the gun-toting matriarch of a crime family in the indie revenge thriller Blue Ruin (which was released last Friday and is also available to watch on VOD)? “Well, auditions are few and far between and I will audition for anything,” says the plain-speaking Plumb, 56. Her taped audition impressed director Jeremy Saulnier, who was unfamiliar with the actress’ small-screen work. “Jeremy shows me all these audition tapes, and he was like, ‘She’s really good,’” recalls Blue Ruin star Macon Blair, who plays a vengeance-seeking homeless man in the film and did recognize the Brady sister. “I was like, ‘She is really good. What I’m saying is you’re going to have Jan Brady with a goddamn machine gun! That’s kinda cool, right?’” READ FULL STORY
The Long Good Friday is not the most successful film to star Bob Hoskins, who has died at the age of 71. (That would be the 1988 blockbuster Who Framed Roger Rabbit.) It may not even be the British actor’s best gangster movie; a case can be made for Neil Jordan’s superlative Mona Lisa. But as a reminder of Hoskins’ volcanic, yet subtly-applied talents, it is impossible to beat this 1979 thriller from director John Mackenzie.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': About that ending and other spoiler-y Q's
- 'Doctor Who': 3 sneak peek pics from new episodes
- Wrestlers in movies: Best/worst performances
- Comic-Con '14: 20 bonus star portraits
- 12 who gained/lost weight for a role
- 'Supernatural,' 'Teen Wolf,' 'Mindy,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Anson Mount in 'The Breakfast Club': An EW Radio mini-production
- When A$AP Rocky went to NSFW Kathy's house...
- STAHP in the name of love 980
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams and other directors are working to save movie film 534
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 596
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 463
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 285
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams, and other directors are trying to save Kodak
- Box office preview: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' aims for a cosmic debut
- Comic-Con '14 Star Portraits: Day 3
- Chris Pratt talks end of 'Parks and Recreation': 'I think people are ready for it to be done'
- Comic-Con '14: 20 Bonus Star Portraits