Will 2013 finally be the year that Joss Whedon’s legion of fans get to sing along with the long-awaited sequel to his 2008 Internet sensation Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog starring Neil Patrick Harris, Felicia Day and Nathan Fillion? The geek pop polymath who gave us Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and a surprisingly successful indie about a band of superheroes no one had ever heard of called The Avengers made no promises when Entertainment Weekly caught up with him late last year, but he did say that putting a crooning Doogie back in a lab coat is on his “to do” list. “We really want to shoot it next year. We feel strong about the idea and we have a bunch of stuff written,” said Whedon, who is currently directing the pilot episode of Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. series while also writing the script for the sequel to The Avengers, plus prepping the release plan for his film adaptation of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing, due in theaters this summer. In between: The occasional napping.
Tag: Firefly (1-2 of 2)
To be, or not to be … Joss Whedon.
The Avengers writer-director’s film adaptation of the comedic Shakespeare classic Much Ado About Nothing has been slated for a June 7, 2013 joint theatrical release by Lionsgate and Roadside Attractions, according to a press release Thursday.
The contemporary take on the play stars Whedon alums Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof and Nathan Fillion, plus Fran Kranz, Jillian Morgese, Sean Maher, Clark Gregg, and Reed Diamond. Whedon and his wife Kai Cole produced the film through their studio Bellwether films, with Daniel Kaminsky as a co-producer, according to the release.
The movie, about bickering lovers Beatrice (Acker) and Benedick (Denisof), was filmed in only 12 days. Any loyal fan of Acker and Denisof in Whedon’s Buffy spinoff Angel, or Fillion in Whedon’s sci-fi western show Firefly, will appreciate the stars’ performances in Much Ado.
READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Terminator: Genisys': Meet the main characters/cast in EW exclusive portraits
- 'Scandal': Bellamy Young on the end of Smelly Mellie (and what's coming next)
- 'Call of Duty' trailer reunites 'Friday Night Lights' team of Taylor Kitsch and Peter Berg
- 'Portlandia' sneak peek: Putting the fun in funerals (jackals welcome)
- Alyssa Milano previews 'Project Runway All Stars'
- 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies': First Look at the Bennet sisters
- 'Vampire Diaries': Chris Wood on why Kai is the show's Ted Bundy
- Danity Kane's surprisingly weird 'DK3' is too good to ignore
- Children of the Revolution: An exclusive first look at 'Terminator: Genisys'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- Lily Rabe to appear on 'American Horror Story: Freak Show,' reprise 'Asylum' role
- 'Game of Thrones' cast signs on for 7th season, for a reportedly 'huge' raise
- Videogame face-off: 'FIFA 10' vs. 'NBA2K10'