Captain Fantastic, an upcoming comedy drama starring Viggo Mortensen, got some new cast members on Monday: Steve Zahn (Dallas Buyers Club), Kathryn Hahn (Bad Words), Missi Pyle (Gone Girl), and Erin Moriarty (True Detective) are all set to co-star in the film, which Entertainment One acquired the international rights to on Monday.
Tag: Frank Langella (1-9 of 9)
Academy Award winner Nicole Kidman is Grace of Monaco, one of the 20th century’s most iconic princess: Grace Kelly. The film, directed by Olivier Dahan, will open this year’s Cannes Film Festival after being pulled from the Weinstein Co.’s schedule last year; it was originally slated for a November 2013 release.
Grace of Monaco shows an intimate snapshot in the year of the life of Kelly, six years after her wedding of the century. As she yearns to return to the big screen with her newfound role as mother of two, Kelly strives to reconcile her past and her present while living as a monarch of a European principality and wife to Prince Rainier III.
In addition to Kidman, the film stars Tim Roth, Frank Langella, and Paz Vega. Take a look at the trailer below: READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Daniel Radcliffe to play American reporter in 'Tokyo Vice'; Plus Reese Witherspoon, more
• In case you chose to forget about Equus and Kill Your Darlings, we’re just here to remind you that Daniel Radcliffe is really never going back to his Harry Potter days. He’s just lined up a new project: an adaptation of Jake Adelstein’s Tokyo Vice, a non-fiction account of Adelstein’s work as an American crime journalist in Japan. Music video director Anthony Mandler (Taylor Swift’s “I Knew You Were Trouble” and Rihanna’s “Diamonds”) will helm the feature, and playwright J.T. Rogers will write the script. [Deadline]
“With the first pick in the NFL Draft…”
Millions of football fans tuned in to ESPN last night for the sport’s equivalent of Christmas morning. After months of anticipation and analysis, fans finally got to see which collegiate superstars will be wearing their favorite teams’ jersey next season. As each of the 32 teams are on a ticking clock, their coaches and general managers agonize over their options while the players wait helplessly to be told where their professional lives will begin. It’s a tense and exciting annual ritual that director Ivan Reitman is bringing to the big screen with Draft Day, which will star Kevin Costner as the embattled GM of the Cleveland Browns. (Is there any other kind?) The director of such hits as Ghostbusters and Dave brought his cameras to a mobbed Radio City Music Hall yesterday to take advantage of the NFL’s stagecraft and the buzzing atmosphere that can only be captured in a theater full of face-painting fanatics. “Our responsibility is not to get in the NFL’s way,” Reitman says, “but at the same time, be able to capture the reality, the energy, and in particular the emotions that come from the draft. Because no one’s told that story, the story of the remarkable effect that the draft has on people’s lives.”
Set within the confines of a single day, Draft Day tells the story of Sonny Weaver (Costner), who’s in the midst of one of the most complicated and stressful days of his life as he positions the long-suffering Browns — who’ve never reached the Super Bowl — to trade up for the draft’s No. 1 pick. On the other side of the dramedy are three highly regarded college prospects who are waiting for their professional careers to begin. One of them is portrayed by Chadwick Boseman, currently seen onscreen playing Jackie Robinson in the baseball movie, 42. “It’s a very tough role that he plays,” says Reitman. “Totally different than he is in 42 — that’s all I’ll say. READ FULL STORY
Get ready to salivate over the costumes.
The Weinstein Company has just announced the acquisition of biopic Grace of Monaco, a film about Grace Kelly. Directed by Olivier Dahan (La Vie En Rose), the movie stars Nicole Kidman as Kelly and Tim Roth as Kelly’s husband, Prince Rainier III. The film also features Milo Ventimiglia, Frank Langella, Parker Posey and Paz Vega.
“More than thirty years after her death, Grace Kelly’s story continues to be one of insurmountable allure and we are so happy Olivier Dahan has brought it new life,” said TWC co-chairman Harvey Weinstein in a release. “As always, Nicole Kidman’s commanding performance is the perfect portrait of a woman who was not only royalty, but who also remains a legend of the silver screen and fashion icon.”
The film will have a theatrical release Dec. 27.
Tribeca Film Festival announces new Richard Linklater, David Gordon Green films for line-up
Nicole Kidman channels Grace Kelly’s regal style
Grace Kelly movie in the works. Who should play the princess?
• Jim Carrey has signed on to star in the upcoming comedy heist film, Loomis Fargo. Inspired by true events, the press release announcing the news says the story follows a disgruntled bank employee who teams up with a girl to steal nearly $20 million. The film will be directed by Jared Hess (Napoleon Dynamite) and based on an original screenplay by Emily Spivey (Up All Night).
• Jeremy Renner will produce and star in the upcoming thriller Kill the Messenger, based on the true story of journalist Gary Webb. The Pulitzer Prize winner was known for uncovering the CIA’s involvement in cocaine trafficking during the Reagan Administration as a method of funding the Contra war in Nicaragua. Webb published his findings in a series of articles in 1996 in the San Jose Mercury News, and endured intense public scrutiny in the years that followed, before taking his own life in 2004. Michael Cuesta (Homeland) is set to direct the film. [THR]
Casting Net: Colin Firth and Michael Fassbender to explore 'Genius.' Plus: Amanda Seyfried, Patrick Dempsey, Stellan Skarsgard
• Colin Firth and Michael Fassbender are set to star in the biopic Genius, about the relationship between literary editor Max Perkins (Firth) and celebrated author Thomas Wolfe (Fassbender), film sales company FilmNation Entertainment announced today. Screenwriter John Logan (Skyfall, Hugo) is adapting A. Scott Berg’s biography Max Perkins: Editor of Genius, and London theater fixture Michael Grandage will make his feature film directing debut.
• Amanda Seyfried and Patrick Dempsey will star in the romantic comedy Wonderful Tonight, about a one night stand that results in pregnancy. Christine Jeffs (Sunshine Cleaning) will direct from a script by J. Mills Goodloe (Pride). [Deadline]
• Stellan Skarsgård (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Avengers) has signed onto the dramedy Hector and the Search for Happiness, the film’s producers announced today. Based on the novel by François Lelord, the film follows the titular psychiatrist (Simon Pegg) as he searches the globe to discover the secret to true happiness. Rosamund Pike (Wrath of the Titans), and Christopher Plummer costar. Peter Chelsom (Shall We Dance, Serendipity) is directing from a script written by him, Maria von Heland (Big Girls Don’t Cry), and newcomer Tinker Lindsay.
• John Cusack is set to headline Airspace, a thriller about a pilot of a charter plane who finds his plane under attack by a MiG fighter jet. Roger Avary (The Rules of Attraction) is in talks to direct from a script penned by Briana Hartman (Brother’s Keeper). [Variety]
• Frank Langella (Robot and Frank, Frost/Nixon), Rosario Dawson (Eagle Eye), Josh Hartnett (30 Days of Night), and Gena Rowlands (The Notebook) will star in Parts Per Billion, an ensemble drama follows three couples as they weather a major devastating event. Brian Horiuchi is making his feature directing debut from his own script. [TheWrap]
Casting Net: Benedict Cumberbatch to play the Beatles’ closeted manager. Plus: Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Garner, Vince Vaughn
Casting Net: Gerard Butler’s new goal to defeat Nazis in ‘Dynamo.’ Plus: Paul Giamatti, Olivia Wilde, Romany Malco
Casting Net: George Clooney lands Daniel Craig, Bill Murray, John Goodman for ‘Monuments Men.’ Plus: ‘Captain America’ 2 finds its Crossbones
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Colbert Report' wraps with an immortal, star-studded finale
- 25 best 'Stephen Colbert' moments
- Stephen Colbert's 6 most awkward in-character interviews
- 'White Collar': Perfect 'Au Revoir' to our favorite con artist?
- 'Suits' promo reveals Louis' next move
- 'Game of Thrones' refashions Arya's look
- Neil Patrick Harris arrives at the freak show in 'American Horror Story' promo
- 'Project Runway All Stars'; 'AHS: Freak Show'; 'Survivor'; more TV recaps
- 'The Colbert Report' wraps up with an immortal, star-studded finale
- Louis' next move revealed in 'Suits' promo -- exclusive
- 'The Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln talks 'cruel' twist and reveals the true meaning behind the 'shut…
- 'The Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple answers midseason finale burning questions
- 'White Collar' series finale: The perfect goodbye to our favorite con artist