President’s Day weekend proved to be another strong one at the box office. In its second weekend in theaters, Safe House, an action thriller starring Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds, climbed past last weekend’s victor The Vow and topped the box office chart. Meanwhile, newcomers Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, This Means War, and The Secret World of Arrietty didn’t make a big dent on the chart, but they still contributed to a very sold frame overall. Here’s how the weekend played out: READ FULL STORY
Tag: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (1-3 of 3)
Box office update: 'The Vow' scores $7.4 million on Friday, holds off 'Ghost Rider' and 'This Means War'
After its remarkable first week at the box office, The Vow looks like it’s headed for another weekend win. The romantic drama, which stars Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum, is exhibiting major legs, despite its overwhelmingly poor reviews. The Vow smooched up $7.4 million yesterday, and looks headed for a four-day take above $30 million. READ FULL STORY
After last weekend’s record-breaking pre-Valentine’s Day frame, Hollywood is feeling hopeful about box office prospects during the upcoming holiday weekend, which will include four days of box office receipts. We’re likely headed another frame of four $20+ million grosses — possibly even five!
Three new movies are hitting theaters — action sequel Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, romantic comedy This Means War, and animated import The Secret World of Arrietty — but The Vow won’t relinquish the top spot so easily. Here are my predictions for the four day holiday weekend: READ FULL STORY
- 'Amazing Race' recap: And the winners are...
- 'Gravity,' 'Her' share L.A. Critics' top prize
- '12 Years a Slave': Best Pic for Boston, N.Y. critics
- 'SNL' recap: 'Anchorman 2' and the boys
- 'Frozen' is weekend's No. 1 movie: $31.6M
- Kennedy Center Honors: D.C. salutes five artists
- 'Bonnie & Clyde': Nico Vega goes 'Bang Bang'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' lingerie line in Sweden
- 'The Amazing Race' recap: The Final Frontier
- 'Homeland' recap: Loose Cannons
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: Pain and Pan-ic
- Los Angeles Film Critics Awards: 'Gravity' ties with 'Her' for Best Picture, James Franco ties with Jared Leto
- 'SNL' recap: Paul Rudd brings a parade of surprise guest stars -- VIDEO